icon

Upgrading Fuse Box Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JesusTTU 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2002 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

I was just curious if upgrading the wires that gor from the battery to the fuse box would help with headlight dimming?  I already upgraded the alternator wire to 1/0 and the ground on the battery to 1/0 and the ground from the engine block also to 1/0.  I have 1/0 running to my dist. block and sending 4 gauge to my one amp....but i still get bad interior and headlight dimming...it might be my alternator bc i have had many problems with the electrical system in my 96 camaro...but i hope its not...so would the wire to the fuse block help aleviate some dimming??

Thanks

CTMobileMedia 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2002 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Does your alternator put out enough amperage to power everything in your car? Are you running a capacitor, installed correctly?

Dave

CT Mobile Media

JesusTTU 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2002 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know whether my alternator puts out enough amperage or not...i havent checked it....its a 105 amp alternator running on sony xplod 760 watt amp and the headunit....thats all that i have powered in my car.....i had a cap. but was told that it wouldnt help, but make things worse with the music i listen to...i was told that it just adds more resitance than without it....i guess i need to get my alternator checked out
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
A cap will not add resistance, NEVER.  A secondary battery will, if it is weak/dead.  Try getting a 1-5  farad cap and a new alternator.  That sony explod shouldn't cause that much of a strain on your system, short term.  Long term could be a different story though, so put a stiffening cap in there. 
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Hey JesusTTU......

you need a bigger alternator to handle the load you're putting on it...as far as alternators....you can either buy a new one or you could have your factory one re-round so it charges more...I'd go with a 150-200 amp alternator if not greater..that should take care of your problem.  you could add another Cap 1 farad would be fine...as far as it adding resistance...I've heard of it happening, but even the added resistance is so low it wouldn't register on most DMM's, you'd have to get one of those anal retentive DMM's to get it to read...so don't worry about it.....you might also think about adding an additional battery for the amp, but if you're only running one amp, there should be no need in it....

First and foremost, upgrade your factory alternator with a bigger one.....Lightning Audio, American Eagle ( i thik thats the name ), and companies like that..or check with your local Car Audio store, they should have an idea of where to get one if they can't......

I will say, you're problem is more than likely the alternator.....GM is notorious for stuff like that....the Alternators especially...they design them to hold up to the load the vehicle has when it leaves teh factory, with almost no tolerance for aftermatket add-ons, like foglights, neon ( which should have little to do with it ), Stereos, etc...anything electric that hooks up to your car, buts a laod on the alternator and battery...so replace the alternator....you should be fine than

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic