fibre wall thickness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wjonline 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hi to all

being a newbie to fibreglassing, this will be my first project I have a couple of questions/queries

I have bought some subs that recommend 1" mdf walls for an enclosure, so I wish to try to get 1" thick walls for my fibre box.

is this the best way of doing it?

fibreglass 1 layer as standard inside the car

when dry, pop out of car and then add more layers until rear/side walls 1" thick.

( as want to spec box to be 0.65ft3 )

pour in 0.65ft3 of water to get level. mark with a pen then put in mdf rings and hold in correct position with round wood sticks ( cant remember correct name )

then fleece and resin

then build out front with layers until 1" thick, thus sealing the box and getting correct thickness and box size?

as I intend to carpet it doesnt need to be that smooth,  I hope this is the easiest method

what do you guys think?

thanks

stereoonwheels 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

Whoa!  1" thick would take A LOT of layers of fiberglass.  That is way overkill.  Fiberglass is much stronger than MDF, so really, 1/2" thick would probably be more than enough.  It also sort of depends on what material you use.  When fleece soaks up resin, it can be pretty thick by itself, where as grill cloth or t-shirt material will still be pretty thin before you add the mat.  Just use about 7 to 10 layers of mat, and your box should be good and solid.

Also, I suggest that you do more than one layer on your mold before you pop it out of your car.  One layer is pretty flimsy, so the possibility of warpage is high when you add more layers.  If it's not too much trouble, you should do all of your layers inside the car.

One last thing I want to mention is that I'm glad to see that you care about the internal volume of your box.  Many people don't really even seem to care when building a fiberglass box, because it's hard to get them exact.  But really, having a general idea is better than nothing.  I've seen way to many boxes that are ridiculously small for their application. So good job =)

big_ed 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I agree volume can change the sound quite a bit and people just dont seem to worry about it???     lol go to all that trouble to fiberglas and then make a box that is half the right size.       This probably doent make too much diffference but if you want to get a really accurate volume then measure the water volume AFTER you apply the layers and get the fiberglass as thick as you need it.  An inch of fiberglass all around the inside could reduce the volume a bit.
Kick his A$$ c-bass
big_ed 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
LOL ok im an idiot that is what your already doing, sorry.
Kick his A$$ c-bass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic