icon

Infinity Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey what do you guys think about Infinity's amps?  Spicifically the Reference 7520a?  If I get it I'm going to bridge it to 280 watts and use it to power an Infinity Kappa.  I've heard them but not sure what kind of rep they had w/ everyone.  Do you guys/gals have any other recomendations for a 300 watt amp (mono or bridged to this power)? It needs to run that at 4 ohms.
mladams 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked with them and they have caused a number of problems. That and if your gonna power and infinity kappa your gonna want something bigger or it will be under powered and distort horribly. We've gotten amps that the channels don't work or the RCA connectors come off. Most all of them are low on power though. My oppinion would be to go with MTX or Audiobahn on an infinity Kappa sub. The kappas are awesome subs though.
Matt Adams
Electrical Engineer Major
York College of PA
Chevy Cavy Rally Sport
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Definately not an Audiobahan fan.  But I'm lookin at MTX, Phoenix Gold, JBL, and JL Audio.  The problem is finding an amp to give it enough power w/out overpowering.  The sub is a 10" and is a 275 watt RMS sub.  The only MTX that's around that level (the thunder282) doesn't have bass boost (not a nececary but it's nice to have).  Would a larger amp be ok for the sub (like 350)?  I've got 150 going to it now from a kenwood (it's ok but I've definately heard better) and it sounds ok.  Looking for a better amp w/ more power.  Already blew one and I don't want to do it again by too much power (ran like 460 watts to it... i know don't ask).  Thanks for the input.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I would look at a mtx 421d. If it is set up properly it will be fine. You can also look at a new MTX Audio 4002. I think they test at around 400 watts at 4 ohms which would be acceptable as well.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
not a big fan of the infinity amps for sub use, I will rep them for high's but not subs
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
mladams 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I've never been a huge fan of audiobahn either but I put two infinity reference subs on the audiobahn 8000t and they pounded and sounded good. Just remember that RMS is NOT peak. The thing about infinities is that they take 275 RMS but most of them can handdle up to 1200 peak, I know for a fact that the kappa's can hanndle at least that. I wouldn't suggest 1200 watts but they perform best at around 700-800 watts. If you give it 350-400 it will distort due to little power. Just keep that in mind, you want to make sure you give it a decent amount of power cause infinity's are very power hungry.
Matt Adams
Electrical Engineer Major
York College of PA
Chevy Cavy Rally Sport
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah i've already blown one infinity.  It had 460 watts running to it.  Probably was due to a clipped signal and not the bigger power (POS kenwood amp).  Deciding between the MTX MTA3002 and a JBL or JL 250/1.  Depends on money and if I get another kappa.  Thanks to all.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic