icon

more amp civic 87

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrick 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

hi i would like to know, i have a honda civic 87 gl and the alternator is only 65 amp and i would like to get a better one, but i don't think a compagny here can sell a better one, if i plug a marine battery, the best battery i think, this could be enought to drive the amp ? that for a lanzar vibe pro 1600 wat + kenwood 200 watt for front. i have read a marine battery can run about 2 hour, i think it's enought to drive the system when i need a amp and after the alternator will rechare the battery..  i think..

well i wish few user can answer about this amp problem,

i know i can buy one from mralternator.com but this will be very expensive well if i can find anything with a lower cost i will try :)

thk all

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hi mrick, keep in mind that the battery's main prupose is to start the vehicle. When the vehicle is running, the alterantor's primarily function is to supply enough current for all devices in the vehicle and charge the battery. If you're consistantly drawing more current than the output of the alternator, eventually you will cause damage to the alternator and drain your battery. Check with your local car stereo shops. One of them should be able to order one for you. 

more amp civic 87 - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
mrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

hmmmm yes but my present alternator give up to 65 amp... and only the audip system need like 60 or 70 amp.. well it's sure the audio system will drain the battery.  but u thnk it's not a good idea to run with another battery only for the amp? if u think i realy need to change my alternato and get a 120 or 130 amp i will buy this but it's expensive :(

thk for the reply

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi mrick, running with an additional battery is not a bad idea, but if the only thing in your vehicle that had any current draw was your stereo, then your present alternator would likely be sufficient, but unfortunately that's not the case. The larger/extra battery will help when current draw momentarily exceeds the output of the alternator, but over time, consistant demands beyond the hot output of the alternator can lead to a damaged alternator and drained battery(ies). 

more amp civic 87 - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
pat28ca 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
what you should do is try to get a higher output alternator for your car. i don't mean go get a 180 amp alternator, just go and see if you can get one for the vehicle that's more than 65 amps. i'm sure you can probably find an 85 or 95 amp.  if the head lights dim while your equipment is pounding then you'll definetly need a bigger alternator, not battery.  if your lights are all right, then just get your self a 1 farad capacitor. good luck
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2002 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
If you get a marine or deep cell battery (optima yellow top) you will still have to charge it. Adding a battery is for when you want to run the system when the car is off and the alternator can't power the system, and you don't want to kill your starting battery. An extra battery will strain your alternator more, not help with over-draw. Look into a higher output alternator. A civic is such a popular car, I guarantee you can find an 80 amp or something that'll be perfect. Might I suggest your nearest Schuck's or Napa? They are great places to start. And some of those guys know a hell  of a lot.
/NyxBass
mrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2002 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

yep i have found a 85 amp alternator, all think this will be enought for the amp or ? i don't want buy this is it's not enought :(

thk all for the reply i got the answer i wanted now need to know if 85 amp is enought :)

pat28ca 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2002 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  

should be enough. see it all depends on wether you live in the artic and you have the heat on the wipers on the defroster on and your pound the tunes or whether you live in the heat and only have your air conditioning on while pounding the tunes.  the more things that you need to have on the more the strain on the alternator.also , i put a yellow top optima battery on my sh*tty little shadow and now i noticed the difference imediately. that 's due to the capacitance of the battery. the the battery smoothes out ripple in the current that goes to the car. so if you do all this work on not change the battery , you 'll end up feeding noise to the amp( the amp will drain the highest amount of current).  an old battery will never be as good as a brand new one. i found that the yellow top seems to be the better for car use. for starting, and for pounding the system, good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic