icon

Idiot light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alansmith54 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2002 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

Here is one for anyone who can answer it.

I want to install an idiot light in my car.  I want to wire up a relay so that when the car is off the relay puts out a 12v pulsed output to flash an LED.  When the car is on the 12v pulsed output should be off.

If anyone knows how to wire up a standard 30amp relay to do that please let me know, email me at alansmith54@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

melvyn 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2002 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Take an ignition +12 feed to the 85 terminal on your relay, and connect the 86 terminal to ground. Connect a constant +12v to the 87a terminal, and connect the 30 terminal through a 470 ohm resistor to the anode side of a flashing LED (such as Radio Shack item 276-308), and connect the cathode side to ground.

go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2002 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
No need for a relay. Wire up a flashing led direct with the correct limiting resistor.
Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Buy a flashing LED (preferably 12v already) and hook the longer lead up to 12v + live and the shorter lead up to the vehicles accessory wire that is live when key is on and ground when key is off.  This way the led will flash when the key is off only.
alansmith54 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
What happens when the ignition is in the off position, will the flashing LED allow current to flow throught and thus loop the power through the LED and burn the LED or some wiring??
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, the current flow thru an LED is only about 11 ma. That much current won't even lite up a flashlight.
Clean tools = Clean work!
alansmith54 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2002 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

New problem, just wondering if any knows an answer.

After installing the idiot light and getting it to come on and off when I want, I have encountered something new.  I purchased a flashing led which is great but the bloody thing flashes to fast making it appear to be on all the time and just get brighter and dimmer.  Just wondering if any knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for anyone with an answer.

carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2002 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

um heres a thought

y not just buy a varard hyper led. no worring about anything just hook it up with three wires and there alot brighter thatn the readio shack leds

alansmith54 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2002 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

That sounds easy  but, I already bought 6 flashing leds and I want to use them so if anyone knows if there is a resistor or something to put inline with the led to slow down the flash your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance again

tekky 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2003 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  

I could be wrong (been 2 years since I've really applied electronics... but a capacitor would slow the flashing down ;) as in order to light up the capacitor would need to be charging if I recall rightly and as it discharges the led would go off...  then you just play with the value of the capacitor to change the delay...

Hope that helps... and maybe someone can suggest a Farad rating for the cap for a decent rate of flashing... I forget the formula for decided that :(

-Karl Tiedt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic