Collins USA 8'' bandpass box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jc_333 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2002 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Dear all

Just joined the forum and I must say this site is very good, full of informative content indeed.  Greetings to all anyway.

Now to the crunch, I was given an active 8" Collins USA bandpass box which I think it an 8th order design.  However, I have searched high and low on the net and cannot find one single piece of information about the brand or box.  Does anyone know what the specs are for the box that I have regarding power output or anything???  I have even taken it apart and found that it has a dual voice coil, two chambers with a port along with two exiting ports.  The so called active amp part is just a tiny board full of resistors, heat sinks and chips?? (sorrie dont know the name).

I must say it preforms pretty good for a tiny 8" and was thinking if I upgraded the crappy looking 8" sub to a JL Audio 8" would it be even better?

Many thanks for any info.

Cheers

Jack

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
While I don't know anything about Collins USA, I would suggest that you don't replace the speaker. To design high order bandpass boxes takes a ton of engineering, and they are designed around the specs of that particular speaker. There is a very good chance that if you put another speaker in, it would sound like utter junk. Of course, you might get lucky, but my guess is that it might just up the power handling without making it sound much better. That box has been optimized to bump as is, and any changes probably won't help it. The DVC's are to get the impedance lower and up the sensitivity of the sub, and the amp is probably  decent amp, if it goes - It's totally designed to work with that box for max bass. It just looks funny cause it doesn't have a chassis. I wouldn't try modding it if you like/need it now. Course, if you're like me, you get something better eventually then go for it anyway just to see what happens. Collins USA 8'' bandpass box? - Last Post -- posted image.
/NyxBass
jc_333 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

NyxBass

Thanks for the reply. 

I will be sound dampening the car later on with some Brown Bread.  I was flicking through the pages of a part books for home hifi and saw some dampening items for ports and speaker boxes.  Would you think dampening the sub box or the port itself will assist to improve the sound quality?  Should i just stop playing around this sub and get something totally new. haha

Cheers

Jack

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2002 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
I think that if it is totally bare inside, some batting might definitely improve the sound. Of course, it might make it just sound muffled too. You can try it easily. Just get some insulation of some type, like fiberglass, or pillow batting, or even fuzzy stuffed animal filling stuff. Try filling the boxes, especially the ones directly in contact with the cone 1/3 full with batting. It may or may not help. You be the judge. I have also seen used - Carpet padding, matresses (big PA Subs), fiberglass pipewrap (the all fiberglass stuff w/ no paper on it) tacked to the inside, and many instances of nothing. It's all up tp you. But don't spend a whole lot on this stuff. You can get it at any arts and crafty place, even walmart, or a hardware store.
/NyxBass
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2002 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys,

If my memory serves me correctly an 8th order bandpass is comprised of two chambers and three ports.  Myself I have never seen the need or advantage to build such complicated boxes for car audio because they are very unforgiving in design error.  However if you must....then a good rule of thumb is one pound (2 kilos) of stuffing per cubit foot.  Another practice is to put insulation on only one of two walls that face each other.  And I wouldn't use fiberglass insulation, who needs all that stuff floating in the air?

Hey Jack..what is BROWN BREAD is it better than BAGELS?

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic