How to Open 03 Accord Steering Column

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spooken 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys,
I'm doing the preparations to install a bypass module for 03 Honda Accord LX. Can't seem to find any screws that holds the steering column cover. Can anyone enlighten me how to remove the cover? Perhaps a link or something?
Thanks a lot in advance.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
I stopped opening those covers a long time ago. The clips holding the top to the bottom are too easy to break. I've been using the PKH3 on these vehicles. Here are the colors you'll need to find:
RED / blue   -   data
BLACK / YELLOW - Ignition
BROWN / yellow - Ground
You can test the Ignition and Ground wires with your meter, The RED / blue will be right next to it in the harness.
spooken 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks...I'll try that.
spooken 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
Umm...btw I forgot to mention that currently I have a 555U installed (oops...), and I recently bought a 556HW (keyless bypass module). The whole exercise is meant to get my key back. I suppose I still need to open the steering column cover then?
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
You could remove the 555u box with the key and cut the harness leading up to the ring as close to the cylinder as you can reach. Having the ring up there connected to nothing won't hurt anything.
If you decide to remove the column cover, I believe there are screws on the front side of it behind the steering wheel. Sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel. You should see two screws....if my memory serves me correctly.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
You can easily break the clip on top as JWorm said, but if you do it slowly it will be fine. You can open it without breaking the clips. Unless you can see how it's done it hard to discribe it. Anyway, I'll try.
You have to located where the clips are holding everything togther. Once you find it, what you do is press firmly at the bottom of the plastic. If you squezze it hard enough, you will release the clips at the top and pull the two pieces apart without breaking it. It a bit easier if you got a large enough hand to wrap around the neck of the steering column, but that's the idea.    
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.How to Open 03 Accord Steering Column - Last Post -- posted image.
spooken 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Do I need to disconnect (-) polarity from the battery when I try removing/installing the bypass module? Just want to make I sure all grounds on the preparation before I start.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic