paint drying

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Melted Fabric wrote:
Just do not burn the place down. Has anyone tried the microwave and a pint of resin before?
No and I think that would be insane. Microwaves don't use heat to cook food, it excites the electrons in the food (or whatever target) and that excitement from the electrons bumping into each other create heat for the food/stuff. To put resin in there would probably either boil the resin into gloppiness, or turn it into a thermal superconductor that will melt and not cool off for some time. Using the microwave MIGHT work, but we give it a very, very slim chance...

Time to call the MYTHBUSTERS...

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
actually, a shop capable of baking the paint on a car will most likely have a side or down draft air ventalation/recerculation system. any professional paint paint booth that can bake will have this and any booth that has a side or down draft system can bake. the temp range stated is close to average, but as i said, if you can bake, dust shouldn't be a problem. very rarely will you find wall heaters that can get a shop up to proper curing temps. central heat is out of the question. painting cars is something i now do on the side and used to do for a living involving dealerships and insurance claims so i'm not taking wild guesses here.

my home shop doesn't have a pro ventalation system nor can it reach the high curing temps of a pro booth, but the two 5 brick gas heaters on the walls can get the shop up to around 100-110 degrees depending on outside temps which is all i need. the point of curing is to speed up dry time, not to be mistaken with having anything to do with the quality of the paint job. that is up to the painter. my average dry time is about 3 hours compared to the 30 minutes to an hour in a booth.

Yeah that's true, but there are some small paint shops that have a baker but don't have the budget yet for a draft booth. In fact, that's how we started when we first built our paint building. Just some extra info for the home bakers or the new smaller shops...
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic