icon

wiring up fog lights with a dpdt switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brian_mcenulty 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I'm in the middle of rewiring my KC and ProComp fogs (150w KC's and 130w procomps). I'm wiring both sets up lights up to 1 DPDT lighted switch. Both sets of lights have their own relays wired up. I have the relays wired up as follows:
86 - Ground
87 - Lights
30 - 12v power
85 - Switched 12v
I had a different switch hooked up to this setup before and it works just fine, however I recently bought a set of On/Off/On DPDT led switches from www.4x4mods.com with the intention of wiring the lights up so that in one position, the lights will power on with the high beams and in the other position the lights will come on with the parking lights. Well my problem is is that I have no idea how to wire this damn switch up. I've looked at their website but their wiring diagram doesn't seem to be working for me, I keep blowing fuses from my 12v switched power sources because they get grounded from the switch. I've tried a few different positions for the ground and power leads for the switches but have not been successful. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the switch showing where the ground goes, the accessory, and 12v power? Thanks
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I have just about given up on these damn switches. I can get the switches wired up to work how I would like them only without the led coming on. If I hook up the ground wire for the led on the switch it causes a short and blows fuses. These switches are poor quality and very poorly designed. I would recommend anyone looking for rocker switches NOT to buy from www.4x4mods.com, the switches may look nice (the reason I bought them) but they are the most poorly designed switches I've used even compared to cheap sub $1 switches.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

When I have wired any type of aftermarket light, I have allways used the switch to throw ground, and the 12volt's came from ign.

Fancy LED switches aren't worth a damn. specially if you have wiring issues.... such as yours.

Get an on/off switch, not a momentary type, like the ones you have.

You have 2 set's of lights you should use 1 switch per set, and 1 relay per light.

First set of lights, the only thing coming thru the firewall is ground. the relays are under the hood. GET GOODS RELAYS. there are a few that are water resistant, almost water proof.

both relays for the first set of lights: 87, fused 12 volt's, at least 20 amps. From the battery.  86 the same as 87, (connect them together)  30 to the 12 volt side of the bulb. 85 get's  the ground trigger

from your switch.

Do this for the other set of lights......... use split loom, lot's of tape, and some time.... and you should have no more popping fuses.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

I would hook it up like this:

Pin 2: Ground

Pin 5: Fused 12vdc feed
Pin 1: Relay 1 pin 85 (Wire pin 86 of this relay to parking light 12vdc signal)
Pin 3: Relay 1 pin 85 (Wire pin 86 of this relay to high beam 12vdc signal)

If you are having issues with blowing fuses then I would try hooking things up without the relays attached first.  See if you can get the LEDs to work with no load.  If you look closed at the switch you'll notice that it is DPDT, but that each contact is of opposite polarity (1 positive and 1 negative out for each direction).

Kevin Pierson
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson are you saying to connect the switch up like that using the current relay configuration that I have? I have been able to get the led's to turn on on the switches using various 12v and ground configurations on the switch but when I add the 12v output from that to the relay that's where the problems start.
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
I just tried hooking it up again the way you had laid out KPierson, but the same thing happened. I'm pretty sure it's not the way that it's hooked up, but that these switches are either bad or just plain crap. I ordered some SPDT contura rocker swtiches to replace these. I've heard a lot of good things about these switches. Plus they are SPDT which I wanted in the first place but 4x4mods only had the DPDT so I got those because they should work the same in my case. The contura rocker also just has 4 pins and from what I understand there will be 1 ground for the led, 1 output for the relay, 1 pin for the high beam 12v signal, and 1 pin for the parking light 12v signal in my application.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic