2005 grand caravan remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikeynice 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I was planning to install a remote start in the wifes caravan using the existing key fob. I have come up with the Valet 561T and the transponder kit 556c. I do have the key with buttons built in and black in color. My window sticker has an option listed as keyless entry with immobilization so I am assuming that I do need the 556c kit. Am OK up to this point? I can solder and use a meter so I was going to attempt the install myself. I do have some questions. Where does the control module normally get mounted? Is it required to run wires throughout the car or are the harness wires long enough? How long should this install usually take? Is there a reputable online dealer I can buy from.? I think thats it for now Im sure Ill have more questions. Thanks in advance

tampa77 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

mikeynice,

My two cents for you:

1. The caravans have plenty of room under the dash to mount everything, wire lenghts should not be an issue.
2. I have used the 561T, 561R and many other DEI products, easy to use and work well, however what product to install is up to each user, everyone has sepcific brands they prefer.
3. There are multiple options for the immobilizer bypass, the 556C works well, but remeber that it can only be coded once, and getting it properly mounted to the key cyclinder can be tricky, so ensure it is securly mounted once it works - then verify again after the shroud is placed back on, the shroud comes off easily in the Caravans.
4. BE CAREFUL if your Caravan has the knee airbag, in 05 on I have seen these and it makes the install less easy - do not unplug the wires to remove the plate or your airbag light will come on.  (The airbag is sandwiched between the steel plate visible after you remove the plastic cover under the dash, you will easily see if it has it or check your window sticker)
5. Time to install is mute, take your time, verify all wires with a DMM and verify all connections and R/S functionality before soldering all the wires. If this is your first intsall, just take your time and you should be fine. May take a 1-3 hours, give yourself at least 5.

mikeynice 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
tampa thanks for the quick reply but I do have some more questions. My caravan does have the knee airbag so I assume I am limited on space?.  Am I correct to say everything gets mounted under the drivers side kick panel? Am I actually cutting into a wire harness? Do I cut the wires, solder and use some sort of heat shrink  or do you  use some sort of crimp connector without cutting the wire? Does the 556c get mounted somewhere around the ignition switch? Is there a difference between the 556c and the 556cw? Is there an alternative to the 556c? Also any online places to purchase? Again thanks for the quick reply. Mike.
tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
You can unplug the airbag, the airbag light will go back out once you get it plugged back in.  I solder the wires and tape them up with a quality electrical tape (Super33) .  The 556c should be fine for you.  I usually tuck the brains above the mess of factory wiring right about the drivers kick panel
tampa77 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

mikeynice,

The knee airbag does not comsume space, it just impedes your way, you have to lay it aside rather than throw it on the floor.  I know some people pull the wire and plug it back in, sometime this works, others it has not, for me. I bought a cheap autox-ray that resets most check engines lights, with that said it is typically safer to not disconnect sensative things like immobilizers, air bags, etc. (just my opinion)

When I connect the wires ("I" refers to my method and madness) I typically strip away the wire, splice into it and tape it up, once I am done with all wires being connected and it works as it should, I solder than warp all connections with electical tape and then zip tie them.

The 556c is good for tha reason you do not have to have a key made and encoded to use it.  I buy these at the local Circuit City or Best Buy, may be cheaper on-line, but sometimes I cannot wait a few days to get one. I prefer the old 555U as I have never had an issue - I kepp with what works.

Here is a link to a site I gave a buddy to use for his 04 install, pictures help, it is form bulldog's site. Don't trust the wiring - always double check with a DMM.  http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/diagram.asp?ModelID=18135&MakeID=16&link=BULLDOG

mikeynice 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

OK Great I think I am understanding alot better now. Great link by the way. But Is there a difference between the 556c and the 556cw? By the way what is DMM?

tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
there is no difference in the 556c and 556cw other than packaging, the CW is in a white box, the c is in a nice plastic wrapper that you''d be able to hang out on a hook and sell.  A DMM is a digital multimeter, the safest way to test wires is to utilize one of these.   Also I am an ASE Certified Mechanic, an MECP certified installer and I work for  Dodge/Chrysler/Toyota system, and never has an airbag light been set and stayed on for me while simply unplugging an airbag and plugging it back in.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
i dont use DEI bypasses so i wouldnt be able to help you with the dif from 556c and 556cw. what i can tell you is a DMM is a Digital Multi Meter.
mikeynice 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for all your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic