icon

experience w/ ma audio amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonbmanch 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

I have an Alphasonik PSW15J sub. and since my last amplifier blew in about a month I am in the market for a new one. The sub can handle 1000WRMS and would like some insight on which of these two amplifiers I should buy. The choices for me right now are the MA HK1000 and the MA HK2000. I would of course have to keep the gain down on the HK200 but I think the HK1000 would come up just short on the power output. I have heard these amps are very reliable, more so than the Hifonics Brutus 1206bxi I had that is now a paper weight.

Thanks!

jason3
jasonbmanch 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
 Sorry About the Typo's guy's.
jason3
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Why did your last amplifier blow???
How was your gain set??
What impedance are the coil(s)??
Any bass boost on??
jasonbmanch 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure how it blew. I had 4ga. wire, Lights never dimmed, ground was good, fuses never blew, protect mode never happend. On the way to work one day the amp started putting out about 1/2 power. Gain was about 1/4. The impedence was 1ohm, and the boost was about 1/3. Does the loudness on the head unit effect the situation for the amp/sub? I have a Pioneer MP610. I think that is what it is anyway. 
jason3
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
loudness on the HU is a USELESS function. It is for kids who think it magically makes it louder. I always fix my friends HU because he turns the loudness on high and his volume maxes out on 16/62. So I turn it off and set everything to flat and then he can turn it up to 50/62 while being much louder and cleaner.
Loudness = distortion = killing subs and amps....if used incorrectly...which is always if it is on
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
yeap it can cause the unit to start clipping
jasonbmanch 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
My Rookie status here @ the 12 Volt and in car audio is about the same. You guys have any insight on my current amp. situation? I am buying one this weekend, I have been without my stereo for about 6 months now.
jason3
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

jasonbmanch wrote:

I have an Alphasonik PSW15J sub. and since my last amplifier blew in about a month I am in the market for a new one. The sub can handle 1000WRMS and would like some insight on which of these two amplifiers I should buy. The choices for me right now are the MA HK1000 and the MA HK2000. I would of course have to keep the gain down on the HK200 but I think the HK1000 would come up just short on the power output. I have heard these amps are very reliable, more so than the Hifonics Brutus 1206bxi I had that is now a paper weight.

Thanks!

Look here for my review of MA Audio - been there done that and it's a big NO on their quality - they are junk. You can get MUCH better for your money...

jasonbmanch wrote:
Not sure how it blew. I had 4ga. wire, Lights never dimmed, ground was good, fuses never blew, protect mode never happend. On the way to work one day the amp started putting out about 1/2 power. Gain was about 1/4. The impedence was 1ohm, and the boost was about 1/3. Does the loudness on the head unit effect the situation for the amp/sub? I have a Pioneer MP610. I think that is what it is anyway. 

I can't look at the specs here at work; was the amp that broke stable at 1 ohm? If not - that's why it went.

aznboi3644 wrote:
loudness on the HU is a USELESS function. It is for kids who think it magically makes it louder. I always fix my friends HU because he turns the loudness on high and his volume maxes out on 16/62. So I turn it off and set everything to flat and then he can turn it up to 50/62 while being much louder and cleaner.
Loudness = distortion = killing subs and amps....if used incorrectly...which is always if it is on

The loudness button is NOT useless at all. It is there to boost those frequencies that humans are insensitive to, so that even if the volume is turned down, you can still hear everything that is playing. Just Because kids like to use it to make their system thump harder does not mean it is a useles function. HOWEVER, with that being said, I would leave it off and forget it. But that's because my system is heavily tuned and turning on the loudness messes w/ my tuning...

But bottom line to the OP, do NOT buy MA Audio crap. Please, take it from someone who has been there and realized that they are crap and there is much better stuff out there for the money.

-Matt

jasonbmanch 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Matt, I bought the MA HK1000 yesterday. I waited for a few days for a reply a didn't hear back from anyone so I did it. I have heard nothing but great things about them until you said they were junk. I will find out for myself I guess. Thanks again.
jason3
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

jasonbmanch wrote:
Thanks Matt, I bought the MA HK1000 yesterday. I waited for a few days for a reply a didn't hear back from anyone so I did it. I have heard nothing but great things about them until you said they were junk. I will find out for myself I guess. Thanks again.

Sorry man, I saw your post time after I submitted my post, and I hoped you hadn't already bought anything.

Oh well, maybe it'll work out better for oyu than it did for me. Good luck with it.

-Matt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic