icon

connecting gps, radar audio to headphones

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct. But if you take a stereo's 2 wires and splice them together, you just combined those to a mono. if you listen closely to your tv, youll take notice the the right speaker and left speaker dont always have the same "sounds" all the time. When you listen to a music cd, some intro's to a song might only use the right speaker and then all of a sudden the left speaker joins in. If you were to disconnect 1 speaker, then youll lose what that speaker put out. In your case, if you combine the left and right, youll have both of those, but just in a mono state. You need to do this because you are going from 3 outputs (2 right/left from one and 1 right from another) but you are running those to 2 inputs (your left and right headphone speaker).So you will have 2 rights and 1 left. You need to "remove" the one right by simply joining it with a left to remove any chance of blending together. I will show you some diagrams.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

If you were to just take 3.5" Y adapters and get the stereo cords this is how it would look:

connecting gps, radar audio to headphones - Page 3 -- posted image.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

This is how it would work if you spliced:

bqe. 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
bqe. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

The Y...is two monos on top into one female stereo just like the last pic I posted.  It only takes a single left channel and a single right channel into the stereo female jack that I plugmy headphones into. 

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
You said your GPS has a stereo jack and the radar has a mono. That is what I drew above.
bqe. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
yes the gps has a stereo output but im plugging in a mono cable...did you see the cable with adapters that im using?  Im getting feedback through, I think the common at the stereo jack at the Y cable im using...so my original question is will diode isolating it solve the problem?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well thats why you are getting feedback. You are taking a mono cable from each unit. All mono cables use either the right or left channel. So you are getting the same channel from both units. You need to seperate them. You need a mono for the radar and a stereo for the gps. You then splice the stereo together, wire that to a stereo wire that you have plugged to your headphones. Youll cut the jack opposite the one connected to your head phones. Youll then expose the 2 wires. The one wire will go to the gps  the other will go to the radar.
bqe. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

With all due respect,  I dont think you know what your talking about or your simply not understanding my explanation of the question at hand.  The manufactured Y cable has a left and a right channel it doesnt make a difference that there is a stereo out on one unit cause Im only using a mono out in it.  Do you Understand?  I didnt make any custom cable.

bqe. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic