icon

bridging amp instructions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mci_sniper 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Im new to car auido and just started 3 weeks ago. can someone explain how the wiring should be done when bridging 2 amps with 2 subs. Thanks sorry if I seem ignorant.
Semper Fi
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
We need to know the brand and model of the amp.  Also we need to know what if the speakers are dual voice coil, single voice coil?  And what is the impedance of the coil(s)?
mci_sniper 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

(2)MA Audio MA120XE -Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coils

Lanzar MXA232
Semper Fi

i am an idiot 
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

mcisniper wrote:
when bridging 2 amps with 2 subs

2 amplifiers, as in one amplifier per sub?  If so, you will need to wire each sub's coils in series for 8 ohms, then bridge one to each respective amp.  You should really use just one of this model amplifier for the two subs, and i am an idiot's post shows you how to see the wiring.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
I would have to say that I smooth overlooked that 2 amp thing.  I feel like such an idiot. 
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Do this on each amp using the "bridged" connections.

bridging amp instructions -- posted image.

bridging amp instructions -- posted image.

You'll have an 8 ohm load on each amp for 150w rms.

mci_sniper 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
which would get the better sound 2 subs one amp with the speakers wired through the other amp or 1 sub per amp and then have the front speakers on one amp and rear speakers on another. thanks for the replies
Semper Fi
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

it's a matter of power.

With one amp running both subs you'll get around 100w per sub.

With one amp per sub you'll get about 150w per sub.  It's not a huge difference, but IMO every little bit counts.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

mci_sniper wrote:
which would get the better sound 2 subs one amp with the speakers wired through the other amp or 1 sub per amp and then have the front speakers on one amp and rear speakers on another. thanks for the replies

You did say 'get the better sound'. To me, this would give the best sound, although you'll be using the amps for all they've got. You'll still be giving the subs the same amount of power they would be getting by running one to each amp -because you're still running one sub to each amp, while your door/dash speakers can get more power for cleaner sound.

You could do a dual-amp tri-mode setup. ***The amp MUST be tri-mode or tri-way capable, the door/dash speakers MUST have an impedance of 4ohms or greater, the subs MUST have an impedance of 8ohms or greater, the door/dash speakers MUST have passive high-pass crossovers (@ about 80-100Hz) wired in series with the speaker, and the subs MUST have passive low-pass crossovers (@ same freq. as the door/dash speakers) wired in series with the speaker.

1. Have the front speakers connected to amp a in stereo, with sub a wired to the bridged output.

2. Have the rear speakers connected to amp b in stereo, with sub b wired to the bridged output.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic