icon

1 bit dacs vs burr brown dacs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rspoon16 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
The sony specs say that it has .005% THD. Thought that would be clean. I know it has enough power to run the MB Quarts, so why is that not a good amp? More clarification please. I know I could get a better amp but the price on a high end 4 ch amp is up there. I dont have enough mounting room to use two separate 2ch amps with better stats. I have a nice MA Audio 4 ch competition amp but its too big to mount under the seat. Which is where I need to mount it.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Which Sony amp is it, EXACT model number, please.
But to answer your question, you need to know the TEST PARAMETERS, which are supposed to be specified.
.005% sounds like a THD at 1W output, NOT at rated output. (Especially for an X-plod amp - NOT great gear, by any means) Tell us your exact model, and I'll see if I can't describe for you better the test parameters. Sony, MA, Audiobahn... all those flea-market makers will always tax the amplifier to it's LOWEST capabilites, to make the numbers SOUND better than they really are.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Put that spec sheet up to your ear and tell me how it sounds. There is far more to an amp and a cd player than a "good" spec.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
rspoon16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
The Sony is an XM-504Z, tha MA audio is a M486i. I have a feeling the MA Audio is much better but I have mounting limitations. But I might be able to take it back to the drawing board.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2008 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
From what you have told us, this project MA Xplode.
1 Bit or 1 Mega Bit DACS. It won't matter using the amps you are describing. THD numbers mean nothing. The fact Sony even stated .005 THD should be a clue how worthless this number is.
If you take a look at the greatest home tube amplifiers, the numbers suck. Single digit dampening, slow slew rates, high distortion. Listen to them and you will know why they are prized.
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Went to MA Audio's website. Picked an amp at random. I found BS wattage ratings and the size. Nothing else. Audiobahn crap in a less sexy package. Let's see how much longer MA survives.
rspoon16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2008 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
How about an old soundstream rubicon? I really dont need that much power. Even though the MB Quarts are rated at high wattage, right now I am running them on a stock head unit,(probably 15-18 watts) and they sound awesome! Just a little more power to keep them from bottoming out, and I should be fine. Trying not to spend a fortune on the amp, I imagine most of my money will go into the HU. I am seriously considering the Denon A-1 dual 24 bit DACs. Doesnt look as sleek as the newer HU but the sound quality is said to be unmatched.
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
More power isn't going to keep them from bottoming out. You are going to need a High Pass filter or seal up the doors better.
I started off with the Quart Q's, and moved on ...
70hz @ 24db/oct was the lowest xover point without over extending the cone. Zapco C2k-4.0 biamped.
The Soundstream is heading in the right direction, much better than the Sony or the MA.
rspoon16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I guess I shouldnt say bottoming out, Just lack of power. I have made high density foam enclosures(baskets) so they should be pretty well sealed up. Im not getting any slap or unusual excursion so I believe that setup should work well. But its hard to say until I get the amp an HU in place. Just about to buy a Soundstream rubicon 4CH amp. Then I just need a HU, still thinking about the Denon DCT-A1.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
I know this isn't exactly on topic - but WHERE are you going to get a Soundstream Rubicon amplifier in 2008?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic