remote start, alarm, 04 buick rainier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gregbbb 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

I have a viper 791xv and a fortin INS-SL bypass hooked up in a 2004 Buick rainier. My problem is battery drane,  The fortin website says that older remote sarts will pulse the ground out while running wire even when the remote starter is not not in use thats what is happening to me. They say a way to fix that is with a relay but they dont go into much detail. Can someone please tell me how to fix this.

Thank you!!

Greg

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Connect the ground out when running to terminal #85 of a relay, terminal #86 to a fused battery source, #30 to ground and #87 becomes your new ground out when running to connect to the bypass module. This should put enough of a load on the remote starter's ground out when running wire to eliminate the bypass from activating falsely. Make sure that if you are using the ground out when running for anything else, that you diode isolate each circuit.
sparky
gregbbb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

What type of relay should i use? Size, amp wires.

Thank you!!

Greg

gregbbb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah

Is that battery source allways on?

Thanks!!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

standard automotive relay, usually SPDT or SPST. you can fuse it at 5amp which only protects the relay. also the battery source is a constant 12v.

gregbbb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

I dont know much about this stuff but whould'nt a constant 12 volt relay cause a battery drain as well?

Too bad you couldnt just use a diode on the ground while running wireremote start, alarm, 04 buick rainier -- posted image.

So where can a guy get a relay that i need at a auto store, radioshack?

Thanks

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

The 12 volt constant on the relay won't draw current unless the g-w-r from your remote start is putting out a strong enough ground to activate the relay.

What happens with the bypass is that it will activate with a fairly small amount of current on the g-w-r, say it's 10 mA or so.  A relay takes around 150mA for example. If the remote start puts out a random ground pulse between 10 mA and 150 mA on that wire and it's going directly to the bypass, the bypass thinks that it's remote starting and will do all its usual things.

With the relay wired in nothing would happen there since the wire going to the bypass isn't getting any ground at all.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
yeap chriswallace got it all, also the relay can be picked up at a local electronic store or radioshack. the relay is usally 7 bucks or so.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
Yea Radioshack only sells SPST relays though (atleast in my area). I wish they sold the SPDT as well. Question for whoever knows the answer.... Is it possibly to blow out a relay in time? Im not talking about it being wired improperly, or too much current being ran through it... Im talking about normal wear and tear. Could a relay blow in time?
gregbbb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks For all the help!!

Just one more thing should i buy a relay with a wire harness or just plug them into the relay?

Thanks all!!!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic