icon

Alternative to Dynamat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
You can try fatmat but on the heat tolerance inst the good. I had 100sq ft in my trunk and the sides and the back stayed on but onthe the lid on the trunk didn't it slowly came off I'm thinking on using somethin else. Fatmart is $60 for 50ft on ebay
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
still_walkin wrote:
You can try fatmat but on the heat tolerance inst the good. I had 100sq ft in my trunk and the sides and the back stayed on but onthe the lid on the trunk didn't it slowly came off I'm thinking on using somethin else. Fatmart is $60 for 50ft on ebay
thats what you get with an asphalt based deadener.
I myself have a couple layers of peel and seal on my front doors...but I am not going to have the truck for longer than 3-4 more years.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
So any suggestions for what to put on my lid .
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

still_walkin wrote:

FatMat IS Peel & Seel with spray painted logo.  If you buy it, you'll notice that little Napster-like logo rubs off with your fingers.  The stuff is garbage, any audiophile that tries it thinks so.

still_walkin wrote:
So any suggestions for what to put on my lid .

Yea.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1344

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php?category=120

If you want it to stick you your lid, you need a butyl based deadner.  If you can afford all the amplifiers and subs and speakers, I think you can afford the greatest upgrade you can make to ur stereo. 

Don't cheap out here - you have no idea what ur missing.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the links . If I'm going to redo the trunkwith something else do you suggest I reline the trunk over the fatmat or remove it. Since the fatmat is not tolerant to heat I was thinking put a heat lamp in the trunk and let the heat peel it lol;)
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
hey dude...before u go runnin out to home depot....check out hushmat.... it's made by one of the guys that doesn't oem sound deadening for the car manufacturers...  most times u can find it for about 15 percent cheaper than dynamat... and it's easier to work with and it sticks wayyyyyyyyy better.... no heat gun required... check it out at www.hushmat.com
there can be only one.......
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
i know this post is old but i just got done with fatmat and yes you cant put it on you trunk it wont stay.it dsnt help i live in FLA either. it seems to stay every where else and ive seen a large diff in the sound that and i doubled it up also. dynamat may be the supposed best on earth but it very over priced.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

daboss wrote:
i know this post is old but i just got done with fatmat and yes you cant put it on you trunk it wont stay.it dsnt help i live in FLA either. it seems to stay every where else and ive seen a large diff in the sound that and i doubled it up also. dynamat may be the supposed best on earth but it very over priced.

You may have noticed a marginal sound improvement using roofing supplies, but I can assure you that a proper butyl-rubber based sound deadener, like Dynamat Extreme, is a far, far superior solution.  Nevermind your car now smells like asphalt.

You even acknowledge you can't get the stuff to stay on your trunk lid - I mean - if you bought paint that didn't dry would you call paint that did overpriced?

~$150 for a case of Dynamat Extreme is a steal when you consider that properly installed the stuff can effectively TRIPLE your amplifier power.

Next time you post, please pay at least SOME attention to grammer, comma placement, and the like.

tattooedkaos 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
sedate- I was wondering if you have any good tutorials or how-to videos you could point me to? I am gonna be doing raammat and ensolite foam, and I want to make sure I am doing it right, so I am not wasting my time or my money.
60% of the time it works every time!
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

tattooedkaos wrote:
I was wondering if you have any good tutorials or how-to videos you could point me to? I am gonna be doing raammat and ensolite foam, and I want to make sure I am doing it right, so I am not wasting my time or my money.

I wouldn't use the ensolite for anything except lining ur trunk floor - that stuff over an aluminum skin is going to be close to impossible with adhesives that I can think of - nevermind that getting it uniform over the surfaces of your car that matter most - like the outer door skin - will be pretty much impossible. The butyl based BXT stuff looks okay - but I'd still get Dynamat or SecondSkin for durability under heat. 

Trying to find cheap deadner is like trying to find a cheap amplifier - just spend enough money the first time on the RIGHT equipment and save urself the hassle.

Remember - a small amount of QUALITY deadner, applied in the right places and applied properly, will make HUGE improvements.  Do your trunk lid, front outer-door skin, rear quarter panels, rear outer-door skin, rest of trunk, front inner-door skin, rear inner-door skin, firewall, and vehicle floor, in precisely that order. 

Butyl deadner removes vibration from METAL - applying it to in the plastic parts of your car is a waste.

This isn't really something you can be shown a video of - you sort of have to do it and it'll make sense.  This may sound crazy - but the few how-to videos I've seen on deadener application actually give BAD advice - leaving air holes and doing the wrong parts of the car, etc.

Cut the material into - sayy - 2inch x 6 - 10 inch strips - then apply, press down around the edges, and then roller down the panel when you get it covered.  Bring the material edge to edge - overlap wastes the stuff. 

This is actually VERY EASY - you just have to roll up your sleeves, get a tactile feel for the material, and make it work.  Once you play with the mat a bit and get a feel for how maelable it is, installing it will make intuitive sense.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic