icon

car deck to booster pack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chucko 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

Make a long story short, im trying to install a car deck up to a booster pack ( the one with booster cables and have a 12v inlet). The reason for this is i have no power where i go camping and this is the best solution to have music! the link below i have a diagram of my set up. I cant for the life of me figure it out. The cd deck cant seem to get any power no matter what i do. Im not very familiar when it comes to wiring. If anyone can help me out, much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Chuck

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/SkuceGoose/?action=view&current=rockbox.jpg

greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

I can't view the pic here at work, but it should be fairly simple to wire up; Just wire the large yellow wire(12+ constant) and the smaller red wire(12V+ SWITCHED) to the + on the jump box, and wire the large black wire(ground) to the - on the jump box. You'll just have to remember to turn the radio all the way off whan you're done, or else you'll run the box deadcar deck to booster pack -- posted image..

Are you trying to make it work off of the 12v accessory port, or are you wiring directly to the battery clamps somehow?

On another note; IIRC those jump boxes may not last very long when being used as a bettery. They aredesigned to provide alot of current ouput over a very short time period - not a long-low draw type situation like you'll be using it for. I'm not sure if it maeks a difference or not, I just wanted to throw it out there...

-Matt

chucko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
yes it has a 12v accessory port. how do i make this all work with a switch? the switch has a little LED on it
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

I would wire the switch in between the + of the jump pack and the yellow and red wire of the radio.  I would also not use a switch with an LED, as an LED is just another thing to draw power from the small battery (it won't be a lot of current, but it is still current).

Kevin Pierson
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, since you want to use a switch, then you would still hook up the 12v+ constant wire (yellow) up to the + of the jump box so it gets power all the time. Next, you want to hook the 12v+ switched wire (red) up to the switch, then come out from your switch to the + of the jump box. Hook ground wire (black) up to - of the jump box. This will make it wired the same as a normal install in a car.

There is no need to switch the 12v constant(yellow wire) whatsoever...

-Matt

KPierson 
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Sure there is - the yellow wire provides power for the memory circuit of the radio.  He is going camping and trying to use a very small battery to play music over the duration of the trip.  Whenever he is not listening to music there should be 0 current draw on the battery.  I realize that the memory won't pull a lot of current, but why have the load on the battery?  The memory won't give him any benefits and he doesn't have the luxary of a convenient charge station in the woods.

Kevin Pierson
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

It's not really a "very small" battery - it should power a head unti for a day or two straight wiothout ever being turned off. Also, he may be having to find radio stations that will work wherever he is camping, so he may need/want to keep the memory alive for the duration of the trip.

Bottom line - if you need or want to keep the memory alive on the headunit for the trip, then do NOT swithc the yellwo wire, only the red one. If you don't need to memory to be kept when you're not using the radio - switch both the red and yellow wires. But even at full tilt, the jump box should power the headunit for a day or so with no problem...

-Matt

KPierson 
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

I can start my car about 5-6 times with my booster pack without recharging it.  That is considerably less times then a charged car battery would start a car.  Booster packs, by both design and function, require a relatively small battery compared to what radios are designed to be powered from - a car battery.

Somehow I doubt he is going to be bringing an antenna along with him on his camping trip!

Kevin Pierson
chucko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help guys. I have the Player up and running. For the record i have 2 booster packs going. One is a 700A the other a 300A.  Ill keep you up to date on how this all turns out!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic