icon

starter kill not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iamnobody 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a Nitro BMW 2-way and I can't get the starter kill to work. My car is a 92 Acura Integra. I located the starter crank wire (Blk/Wht) and cut it. I ran the keyside to terminal 30 on the relay and the starter motor side to 87a. I then connected the thin yellow wire from the control unit which the manual labels "Relay Starter Connection" to terminal 85 as shown in the wire diagram. I then tapped the wire from terminal 86 to the ignition 1 wire (Blk/Yel). Terminal 87 on the relay was removed by the factory and is not used. The car starts fine. But when I arm the system the car still starts which tells me the relay is not doing anything. It also tells me that the control unit is not talking to the relay. Now there is a large gray fused wire on the control unit thats labeled "Connect To Ignition" and the diagram shows it connecting to the starter crank key position(Blk/Whit) Which I have not connected because I think that it's for remote start which I don't need and am not going to hook up. Is this grey wire suppose to go to terminal 86 instead of ignition 1(Blk/Yel) ?
Everything else is working perfect. It arms and disarms, the door and trunk triggers work and I am able to put it into learning mode and program the remotes just fine which learning mode is entered by turning ignition on-off three times. I know terminal 85 is suppose to be ground connection from alarm and terminal 86 is suppose to be 12 volts + which makes terminals 30 and 87a open and close Blk/Wht cranking wire(open when armed and closed when disarmed). Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.
h22lude 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Im not familiar with that alarm but my best advice would be if you have a multimeter or sum sort of testing device test the thin yellow wire that u connected to terminal 85 of the relay. test it while the alarm is disarmed than arm the alarm and make sure it goes to ground. than i would connect terminal 86 of your relay to the ignition wire of your car. as long as all of that is connected you should be okay. to make sure it works you could arm the alarm than put ur key in the ignition and turn it to ignition while holding the relay with you other hand and see if you can feel the relay click over. if it doesnt than either the wires goign to 85 and 86 are wrong or the relay could be bad which is rare. otherwise also make sure u got the right starter wire by disconnecting one of the wire from either terminal 30 or 87a and try starting the car. if it still starts than you go the wrong starter wire. good luck!
iamnobody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your replay. I was just thinking the same thing about testing the thin yellow wire which should be the same as what most alarms call "Ground When Armed Output" so I will test it. As far as having the correct wires I am 100% positive I do. The Blk/Yel is for "ON" key position and when I originally tested which I unplugged from the harness . With it unplugged I got no dash indicator lights and the starter would crank but the engine would not start due to no spark. I plugged it back in and lights came back and car started. The Blk/Wht is for the "START" key position and when I cut the wire and tested the car wouldn't start cause the starter motor did not turn and acted like a dead starter motor so I know these are the correct wires. Also if you check wire color code guides those 2 color codes are the same for most Honda's and Acura's.
Would it matter if I plugged the blk/wht keyside to 87a and the starter motor side to 30 instead of keyside to 30 and starter motor side to 87a as stated in my previous post. Does terminal 30 require 12 volts from ignition which it would not be getting by having the starter motor side connected?
I'm going to definitly check the relay. i know that a bad one is rare but with my luck I got one of the rare ones. starter kill not working -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  

You need 87A to do a starter kill if using negative out when armed. Which is what you are trying to use. The most efficient way to do this efficient = less current draw on battery.  The following will only pull current when a start attempt is made.  The relay will not be energized unless a start attempt is made.

When you cut the start wire you need to connect the wire coming from the switch to terminals 30 and 86 of the relay. 85 connects to the starter kill wire of your alarm. The wire that goes to your starter connects to 87A.

iamnobody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
That's how I it except ignition 1 is connected to 86 the rest is starter wire from switch to 30, wire to starter motor 87A and what is suppose to be grounded when armed from alarm to 85. So I should remove ignition 1 from 86 and run a loop from 86 to 30?
chris27 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you have the relay hooked up right.  86 should go to ignition, 85 should go to whatever wire is "ground when armed", 87a should go to one side of the starter line, 30 goes to the other side.  I would do what h22lude said and test you gwa wire and see if it goes to ground when armed.  If it does then check your ignition input .  I have never done this alarm but the grey wire seems as though your ignition input for the alarm.  You may want to connect it to ignition and see if that helps.  Hope this helps you out.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

I thought I saw that your relay did not have 87A.  Sorry  I am such an Idiot.  I must have read somebody else's thread before I got to this one.  Sorry for the confusion

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

test to see if the relay is actually working.

85 - ground when armed from unit

86 - ignition 1
87a - starter wire key side
30 - starter wire motor side

to see if the relay is working, take 85 and ground it. turn on the ignition and the relay should click, when u attempt to start, it should do anything.

iamnobody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like it's a bad relay. Put DMM on 85 and it goes to ground whether armed or disarmed. Held relay in my hand and turned ignition on and nothing. I have the control unit mounted toward the rear of car and I can hear it's internal relays when sitting in the driver's seat. Have the kill relay right in front of me in my hand and I don't feel or hear anything. Looks like a bad coil or stuck part in it. Everything else is working including the alarm goes off when it's armed and I just turn the key to ignition 1 position just doesn't kill the starter.
iamnobody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I thought I saw that your relay did not have 87A. Sorry I am such an Idiot. I must have read somebody else's thread before I got to this one. Sorry for the confusion

No problem!! You tried to help and that's what is important! starter kill not working -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic