the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alternator upgrade, how many batteries?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayyzr 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 83 cutlass supreme Project Im working on.. installing (2) 1000w rms subs, (1) 2000w rms amp (1) 1000w rms 4ch amp,  21" Plasma tv ( so using 800 - 1500w invertor), Small dell notebook connected to 21" tv. and installing Door Poppers/ Trunk pop. I know I have to get a high output alternator and upgrade the big 3, my question is how many batteries would i need to run total?
Taking It 1 Wire @ A Time...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
How much parking lot time do you want? If the engine will ALWAYS be running, then one battery, as all of the power will (or properly, SHOULD) ALWAYS be supplied by the alternator.
One hour @ WFO? Twelve hours @ moderate volume? You COULD need 50 batteries. This question cannot be answered, with the sparse information we have been provided.
What's the actual nameplate rating on the TV? Amplifier classes? (A/B or Digital?) Brand name of the amps? (I ask, because I have a LOT of trouble believing there is such a thing as a 1000 watt RMS, 4-channel amp... Sounds like a claim from Audioburn, or Kenford - so really what we need is the FUSE RATINGS on all of the amps. Even JL, (450 WRMS, the 450/4v2) Alpine (600 WRMS, the PDX4.150) and Eclipse (400 WRMS, the XA4200) don't offer anything bigger than 600 watts RMS) Will the display ALWAYS be on for the laptop, or will it be shut off while using the TV? (The display in a laptop is THE biggest user of power in that portable device - as much as half of the AC adapter will be used for the display alone)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jayyzr 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

45w 120v on the tv , sub amp is audiopipe 4000w  2000 w rms x1 @ 1ohms, 100x4 on the audio pipe 1500w 4ch

correct the laptop will not be on while using tv. and i removed the lcd from the laptop so the laptop is only going to be displayed on the 21" lcd through the vga

Taking It 1 Wire @ A Time...
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I seriously doubt those AudioPipe power numbers. What are the fuse ratings?
Invertors are very ineffcient and range in quality of output. Look for quasi-sinewave or best, Sinewave. The cheap ones will either blow the power supply(s) or you will experience audio or video noise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic