icon

fm ant for tv tuner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to use your fm antenna as a TV tuner antenna instead? I have my antenna unplugged at the headunit because I have my xm radio direct connected to the headunit and I dont listen to the regular radio. I just wanted to know if I can unplug the antenna where it plugs into the antenna in the trunk, and instead run it to the tv tuner. Just thought I would ask.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
As long as the regular radio antenna isn't anything special that might require power to work or be used for other features it will work. You can buy vehicle TV antennas too, but from my experience TV reception in a moving vehicle isn't very good, unless you are close to the transmission tower. Going around corners and buildings your signal will come and go. You can get about the same reception as simply using a piece of wire plugged into the tuner.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
I already have 3 antenna's hooked up to the tuner. They all have boosters on them BUT lay on my rear deck. I wanted something that would be higher in the air for the 4th antenna. Thats why I was thinking of using my car antenna. Its in the back of the vehicle next to the trunk lid. How would I connect it though? The jacks on the tuner are mini jacks.  
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you already have 3 antennas hooked to the tuner, I seriously doubt adding another one will help. Your tuner should only have one antenna hooked up to it if it has only one ant input. If it has more, than you can buy a couple of connectors at an electronics outlet like Radio Shack and make an adaptor. Try using a jumper wire first as a test because I don't think it will do anything for your reception.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
My tuner is made to have 4 antenna's hooked to it. Out of those 4, I have 3 hooked up. I have a bracket that holds the antenna or atleast helps support it, which is inside the truck at the side wall. Is it possible to run a 8ft mini plug cord which would be plugged into the tuner, and run the other end to either the bracket or the antenna wire itself, and simply rap it around?
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
The problem with extending antenna leads is the signal loss associated with long runs. Contrary to what most people think, the antenna cables for longer runs should have a very specific inner core which is thinner than antenna cables that are shorter. The inner core of the antenna cable needs to be thinner because it has less capacitance than thicker wire. Resistance end to end may be higher, but capacitance plays a much larger role because the signal received and conducted by the cable is so small it is measured in microvolts. If you really want good reception, try a TV antenna that you mount externally to the body. They may not look good, but they are designed for the TV and not as a normal car radio antenna. Try just using some jumper wires temporarily to see if it even helps at all. If you think there is a slight improvement then spend some time and effort into perfecting the connections.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic