icon

99 Yukon Factory Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ksiceman 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
99 Yukon with factory am/fm/cassette and external (factory) cd player installed below radio. Aftermarket cd changer also installed using fm modulator to transfer sound. Radio will stop emitting sound sporadically for extended periods of time. The display on the radio stays on and the tape or cd continues to operate, but no sound. Dealer replaced radio but problem persists. On the 2nd trip to dealer friend was told that the problem was related to the aftermarket cd install. CD changer uses three wires (constant pwr, switched pwr and ground. Modulator hooks to antenna connection. I doubt this would cause the factory tape player to quit playing and I doubt it would cause the factory cd to quit or the am/fm radio to quit working. I suspect this radio has separate amp, but have not seen the truck to confirm. Can somebody confirm this for me? If separate amp, would probable location be behind glove box? My first guess is that if the lights remain on at the radio and the tape or cd continues to play, the problem could likely be at the external amp if so equipped. I hate to get in the middle of "friends" problems, but they are so hard to resist when they are cute!99 Yukon Factory Amp -- posted image.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

Does the radio say "monsoon", "jbl", or "bose" on the front of it?  If so, it probably has a factory amplifier somewhere.  If not, I'm almost positive it's all integrated in to the main radio unit.

I doubt it's anything to do with the aftermarket changer being installed, especially since, as you say, it still keeps on working even when the sound cuts out.  It's possible that one of the speaker wires behind the radio is shorting out and the radio's internal amplifier goes into protect mode.  When this happens it will appear that everything is functioning normally, there will just be no sound.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic