icon

Fiberglassers!! Stay Clear Of This Guy!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rrspyder 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to post a message to this forum concerning the bad experience I had with glswrkz.com.
On 12-23-2002 I contacted Gregory Gentry aka Glassman about purchasing some mold fabric for use in fiberglassing. I was quoted a price of $48 including shipping which I paid on 12-24-02 via ecount.com. On 1-2-03 I inquired as to the status of my order, to see if it had been sent out as I needed it ASAP for a project. On 1-7-03 I received a response from him stating that he would check the status. I did not hear back from him for a couple days so I inquired again on 1-9-03 and on 1-13-03 to see what he had found out. Finally on 1-15-03 I received a response back from him stating that I had never left my mailing address which I believe was just a feeble attempt at an excuse. Why would it take that long to finally let me know I had not left my mailing address? That day I sent him my shipping address again and to this day I have yet to hear from him. I have e-mailed him concerning my order on 2-1-03 and for the last time on 2-8-03. I have also tried to call a couple times with no luck. I have since contacted the Better Business Bureau.
Below is his information
Glswrkz.com
Gregory Gentry   (fiberglassing@yahoo.com)
310-809-3907
712 N. Guadalupe #2
Redondo Beach, CA 90277 US
He runs most of his dealings through a yahoo based group located at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/glassmanscustomforum/. He has prices for various products as well as for purchasing his fiberglassing videos.
I wanted to get my story out to other consumers to let them know to stay clear of this guy, he is a crook.
Thanks,
Kyle K
Aguita94 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
I will second that motion. !!
I joined the guys Yahoo group just to learn -
no responses, no posting for full days and everything is moderated & then he has the gauls of responding with a flame.
Not only that - but everything is money!! you have to pay for anything you want except for the pictures in the photo album.
The resin is much more expensive than if you got a good boating yard OR even if you buy it thru UScomposites.com
The guy is a REAL RIPOFF if you ask me! !
crazedfiber 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

i will not secind that motion!! Glassman is awesome...he personally replies to all my questions and he gives great answers. whenever i leave a post he replies with in half of a day. if u dont wanna buy his stff dont. but dont bash him. the people on that forum are great too, everyone helps everyone. and as far as i see his forum has way more info and better explainations that this one.

Aguita94 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Listen, ice cream comes in different colors becasue of special people like you!
I waited about 2 days for him or the moderators of the group to make me a memeber of the group.
I posed a question and it was about 24 hours later that the message posted because they have to read everything
before they have it go into the forum. So, my question to them were "Why not have the group either moderated by several KEY members OR un-moderate it"..The guy responded in this matter "You either like it or you leave the group!! (This is how he came across - those words are not verbatim!) Now, is that proper? when all we as a whole are trying to learn??
Sorry, but the guy is flaky IMO... However, these are MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWS...
PS: - have you seen the prices of his resin?? 99 for a 5 gallon or something like that - When I can go to a marina and get the 5 gallon of polyester resin for $80!!
and even USCOMPOSITES.com has it at similar or even cheaper prices..
Also, If it is a forum about learning why must you pay for every little thing?? I don't know if you remember - but the 1st 500 members were to recieve a CD - If you read through the first posts - not ALL got the CD!!
So, consider yourself lucky that he responds to you so soon!!
crazedfiber 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
i see where you are coming from about his prices...i dont buy from him either. But everything i have learned so far has been through that forum...the ppl on it are very helpfull and good guys to talk to. I was just stating my personal oppinion. i hope to find the same kind of ppl on this site also. hope we can help each other in the long run.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
I am a moderator on the site in question. i do nothing with the pricing or distribution of the products and/or services on the site. i am just there to help the guys that have a question on what to get or how to go about doing something. i am not tellig you you buy the products or services that are provided. i am telling you to make your own choice. it is just like anything. you are doing it of your own free will. you need to make the choices on your own. if you have issues, you can take them up with the site owner. his email is on the site. i also do alot of the approval of new members and questions. i do this before and after my day job. the one that pays my bills. i do this for no money. i do it to help people that want to learn a new skill or maybe increase their speed or knowledge of a current skill. i also do it because i know that most of the time people don't like to give out too many secret to how they do things, and that makes it hard to learn how to do the cool stuff. i had to look hard to learn the things i know, and i want to make it a little bit easier for a new group of people starting out.
there are always better or faster ways to do things. i just tell you the best way i know how. i do know that the way that is shown on the site is usually the fastest and most up to date way i know of for most of the processes.
as for the tools and materials sold and talked about on the site, those are the (and i stress) the preferences of the people that talk about them. they are not the only option.
with things like the resin that is sold. it is not the typical polyester resin you get at the marina. it is called "Isophthalic Polyester Resin". it is more stable in high heat areas and corrosive areas. is is typically more expensive.
from what i have seen, he does offer the better products on the site....i have never ordered from him so i can't say anything about that. i usually just get the same product locally by looking around. you too can do the same. most of the brands and companies are mentioned in the responses given to the questions along with some alternatives on places to buy. it is the same type of a thing as select products. he is just trying to make a place to get all the glassing stuff in one place. you can always get the same thing faster and usually cheaper if you know where to look.
and on the pay site portion you are refering to. what that is there for is an extention of the free site. it has actual video clips of him doing certain techniques and using products spoke about in the free site. it is offered strickly as extention of the learning. it is a pay site to cover certain costs involved in the making and whatnot involved in the how-to's. some people just learn better when they see it done. i know i am that way. again, it is your choice to join that site. if it is not what you wanted or need. you can always cancel your membership.
in the end all i am saying is that you can think what you want to about the site. whether you like it or not is up to you. i just wanted to maybe clear a couple things up to help out the people that might not have joined it and have no idea what we are all talking about.
thanks for reading
    Installguy509

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic