icon

car alarm w/ keypad keyless entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonlipka 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I'll probably just leave out the power supply and let the battery provide the power.  I do however like the Transistor idea.  With all the crap I've added, underdash real estate is becoming an ever-diminishing commodity.  Not to mention the fact this vehicle should be sponsored by Bosch with all the f-in relays it has on it.  I am nowhere near familiar with transistors like I am with relays.  In fact, besides my circuits and mechatronics classes I took in college, I've never used one.

So for the wiring on the disarm/unlock, will I hook one side of the unlook button to the collector, the other side to the emitter, and the keypad unlock pulse wire to the base?  I did some browsing at Radio Shack but I have no idea what to get.  I know they classify them by P-N-P and so on but I don't know which one to get.  I vaguely remember our discussion about transistors and diodes in a material properties class and know that this has something to do with the flow direction of the electrons, but I don't know which one I need.  Maybe someone could submit a part number?

One last thing.  What do you think would be the cleanest way to wire this up? By that, I mean like is there some sort of mini bread board or some sort of small enclosure that I could stuff all this wiring in rather than just having 3 transistors dangling under dash?  Thanks a ton guys.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
You might try this, using a general purpose PNP transistor-
This would be done for each of the functions like arm, disarm, RS, but try it on one first to see if it works out. The resistor value isn't be too critical, so you can experiment with what you have handy. Just don't go too low to minimize the stress on the transistor. If it's too high it just won't work, but shouldn't harm anything.
car alarm w/ keypad keyless entry - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
The transistors are about 4 cents each from mouser.com if you can't find any locally.    linky
If you can find some perfboard, connect up the bits with pin sockets for the transistors, so it can be plugged in for installation or easy replacement. You could make a connector with a Molex connector so it can be unplugged if necessary.
Important thing is to measure the polarity of the button contacts to see which one is positive. And verify first that it transmits as you expect when you short the contacts together before going forward with anything else.
jasonlipka 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

So now I found out that most Compustar units come with 2 programmable inputs tha can be used for this.  Unfortunately, while this problem is solved, another is created.  I also have an electric retracting tonneau cover that I was going to wire up to be programmed by the auxilliary channels.  Compustar units do not allow the aux outputs to be used in "validity" mode.  Validity mode is where the aux output is active for as long as the button is pressed, which is ideal for my tonno.  Compustar only allows timed and pulse.  I know some of you will say "Well just use the timed!"  That doesn't really suit me because I'd like to be able to stop the tonno wherever I want, whether that is 1/4 open, 1/2 open, etc.  The other problem with timed is that there is such a temp variation here in Wyoming that on a summer day, it might only take 15 secs to open, but on a cold winter day, it could take double (or more) the time.

Therefore, I think I'm still at the point where I am gonna use the Viper and sacrifice a remote.  The outputs are more flexible and the buttons on it are actually intuitive, rather than Compustar's I, II, III, & IV.  The other thing I like is the Viper remote was specifically designed to be used with one hand (no two buttons pressed at the same time).  While this creates more sequences to remember, if you come out of the grocery store with your hands full, you can pop the trunk (or in my case, retract the tonno) without fumbling with your groceries.  So I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic