icon

remote window help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shonuff 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to install window modules.  I'd like to controll 2 windows up and down.  I have 2 window controll modules.  Would I use one window mod. for each window, meaning drivers window is controlled by one module or would I use one mod. for both windows up and the other for both windows down.  My alarm has a 2nd ch. out put and a 3rd ch. output...both prog. with a .8, 10, or 30 second pulse.  .8 will not work of course, but 10 seconds is too long.  It takes about 5 to 6 seconds to roll up or down.  Will this in turn dammage my window motors in they continue to turn for the extra 4 or 5 seconds?

Any help would be great!

Mark

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
You have to use one module for each direction. Read the instructions on the module. They should tell you how to hook it up. .8 seconds is what you need to trigger the module since the module takes over.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
shonuff 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 99 silverado truck.  The drivers side window is + (dk blue/brown) and the pass. side is - (lt blue/tan).  Will I need to use a relay to controll one of the windows since they are not the same polarity.  I already have 2 window modules.  The only instructions for the modules are as follows:

Green= left motor

white=left switch

orange= 500ma. activation

black= ground

red=12 volts

blue= right motor

brown=right switch

I want to hook my 2nd. channel output ( - ) to the orange activation wire for the windows up on one module and the 3rd ch. output for the windows down.  For the windows up, since drivers  window is + and the passenger is - will I need to wire a reverse poll. relay to make the output from the module match for each side?  I'm getting more confused the more I sit and think out it.

Thanks

Mark

floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  
It should be pretty much like my 99, there is no set polarity for the windows. It uses a 5 wire reversal type system where the wire rests at negative until the swtich is pushed and then one of the wires goes positive. Visa versa when you push the other direction.
Basically probe the wire(s) while you push "down" and look for the one that goes POS. You cut that wire then connect the module in between as per instructions. For windows "up" its the same thing you just look for the wire to go POS when you push the "up".
As for the timing. If you have the same module I had it will not take over and requires a NEG pulse the entire time. I'm pretty sure you can set it for the 10 seconds since once the windows bottom out a self reseting ckt breaker stops the current to the motors and won't reset till the NEG is released.
shonuff 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help floater.  I took off my drivers door panel and found the wires.  The drivers switch wires were a little larger than the wires or the passenge side.   What eIse is there to do at 12 am other than tear into your door panel?  I  cut them and ran 4 pairs of wire back down the door and through the door boot abd back into the cab.  For now I just spliced each pair together so my windows will still work but I now have the wires ready for connection.  If I remember right I took my test light and checked the drivers door switch.  I did get a positive output for up and down for the drivers window.  The passenger window was not a positive output.  With the drivers door, when I had my test light on the up switch my test light would "light" as long as I held the switch.  The light went out as soon as I released the switch and of course the window stopped as well.  On the passanger switch, when I had my test light on the up or down wire and hit the switch the window would continue to travel as long as I had my test light on the wire.  As soon as I took my test light off the window would stop.  I had my test light grounded to the frame.  If my modules send out a positive output, it seems like only the drivers window will work since it has a positive output.  How would I get my drivers side window to work at all?

Any help would be great

Mark

floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
ouch. Ok, I lied! I thought maybe you were just hitting the wrong the wire(s). I was actually wondering why the pass windows on most other trucks where not set up with negtive wires then to relays in the other door.
Anyways... I imagine the best bet would be to run a set of wires to the passanger side door. The module will not work on those neagtive trip wires since they are not carrying the motors current.
OR you might wanna listen under the dash for a clicking relay when you work the passanger window from the drivers side. You might get lucky and the relay pack might be on the drivers side. The 5 wire reversal would have been done at those relays. In other words the windows are 5 wire, electrically they HAVE to be. The question is where did the factory install the relays to convert it to negative pulse... Then connect the module there.
Again DO NOT hook up the module to the NEG wires connect to the pass switch on the drivers door.
shonuff 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the clairfication...that was really starting to require me to think too much.  Anyway, looks like it's gonna be another night in the driveway under the stars.........I think I should be able to knock this out tonight and be done!  I hope.......  I'll let you know the results.

Mark

2vmodular 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
the factory auto-down module for the front drivers window is located inside the drivers door switch assembly.
shonuff 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Well I've hooked up the down module.  The passenger window goes down like a champ, but the drivers moves about half an inch and stops.  I know it has an auto down for it but how or what do i tap into to make it work?  Another issue I have seen is when the windows are going up they seem to be going very slow, almost gettng stuck at one point.  My wires are not in the way, could this be because the wire is too thin running from my connections to the modules?  I used what looked like 18g or 16g wire, do these need to be larger to handel the current?

Any help would be great...it's cold outside, about 25F but I gotta finish this tonight if at all possible.  I'm gonna put another layer of clothes on.

Mark

2vmodular 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
You need to bypass the factory autodown module. Either open up the factory switch and solder some wires directly to the switch outputs, or disable the factory switch and install a pair of momentary switches in it's place.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic