icon

whats too much eq?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

^^^ I think I more or less agree with you; I just really think most people (including myself) are simply used to listening to clipped, over EQ'd music to begin with - as you stated. This leaves one with a sense that something is "lacking" when they listen to a flat-tuned system...

But still I maintain; I do not like the sound of a flat systemwhats too much eq? - Page 2 -- posted image.. My initial statement that a stereo system tuned flat with an RTA will not sound good was perhaps a little forward, if not blatently wrong; as we all have different listening tastes. Maybe playing classical music or something flat may sound nice, but still I think part of what makes rock/rap fun to listen to is the "peakyness", "hit", etc. of the music itself - somethign which I believe a RTA'd flat system lacks.  

And as adding too much EQ boost can cause overdriving of an amplifier; IMHO if you have to add more than a few db of boost or cut in a single band, you probably have an install issue and the trying to EQ out to problem is not the proper fix. I too believe in headroom - I have 350w rms going to each DLS Iridium midbass in my front doors, and currently am trying out some Blaupunkt vc100 tweeters w/ 100w rms. After I give those some time to grow on me, I'll put my Seas neo aluminums in and see how they work out with the 100w rms. So yes, headroom is absolutley your friendwhats too much eq? - Page 2 -- posted image..

-Matt

theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well, just my $.02 here, and will probably in no way contribute to the proceedings here, but really the only thing I listen to in my car is opera, classical music, and DCI, i.e. Puccini, Pavaratti, Gustav Holst, Tolstoy, and pretty much every show by Carolina Crown or Phantom Regiment. And I have to adjust the EQ, mine usually ends up looking like what I could only call a suspension bridge, to get anything that sounds like a "live" performance. Obviously there's just no way to match the acoustics of a perfomance hall in a car (at least my car whats too much eq? - Page 2 -- posted image.). When I was in Atlanta last summer I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to ride in a 2006 Maybach 57 S, and even in a car designed purely for luxury, Dvorzaks New World Symphony just couldn't compare with hearing it live as performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. I may be wrong, and in fact, I probably am, in saying that, there's no way microphones right up by the stage can capture the depth of what you hear from 100 yards away, in a real concert hall.

theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
ahh, fruedian slip. 100 feet.
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
ok guys thanx for both you opinions and ideas. i didnt really think out the eq waste on the subs but you are right it is a waste of a decent eq. im going with eqs for the front and rear. and ill use the amps x-over for the subs. once its all done and buttoned up ill post some pics wont be as nice as some of the pros in here but you have to crawl before you can walk. then again my folks said i never crawled lol.whats too much eq? - Page 2 -- posted image.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Looking forward to seeing it, and how you feel about it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic