icon

Remote Windows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MCubed45 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

k so i'm in the process of wiring my 2 power windows to a SINGLE output from my alarm.  i've got the whole switching between up and down thing figured out.  basically when you press and hold the button the windows both go down as long as the button is held.  the next time you push the button, they go up as long as you hold the button.  my question's regarding the relays directly controlling the current to the windows.  during normal operation each window draws about 2-3 amps.  when the window reaches either the fully open or fully closed position, the current spikes to about 14 amps (due to the motor trying to continue moving the window).  i was looking at getting two 4PDT relays (on for up, on for down) to control the windows.  these relay are rated at 5amps.  is there anyway to prevent the current from exceeding the relay's rating or will that spike in current not cause any serious damage? i realize i could get some SPDT relays made to handle more than 14amps but that would be expensive.  i would i have to buy 8.. (4window leads X 2 directions)  the 4PDT relays i'm looking at were about $10.  does one-touch operation use that current spike to shutoff or is it based on a timer?  if it's based on current i would think i could use something similar. please note i'm NOT setting up a one-touch system however.  any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have not worked with doing remote widows to date, however I can tell you that I can get SPDT relays for you relatively cheap. I assume that you will need 5-pin relays? E-mail me for additional information
drvnbysound@aol.com
MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the offer but 12volt pointed out a great site to me.  www.hosfelt.com  they've got great customer service and really nice prices.  radioshack sucks ass.  lol.  i'm never goin back there if at all possible.  they've got stupid sales people too.  the other day i was picking out a switch to add a play switch to my alarm siren.  i want somethin really small so i'm lookin at a micro switch.  then the sales guy comes to bother me.  he starts tellin me that i can't use the switch.  i know the contacts don't handle much current so i tell him i'm just gonna use a relay.  so then he starts goin through the relays and telling me that i probably can't do that and i should just get a bigger switch.  i'm thinking wtf shutup.  so then he picks out a 4PDT relay for me (which also happened to be the most expensive on they had)  and i'm like what the hell do i need that for?  wtf am i supposed to do with the 3 extra poles???  all i need is a SPST relay that handles enough current for the siren.  so then i ask him how much current a typical siren draws and he's like "i'm not an electrical engineer".  and i'm thinking "YEA WELL I AM SO STFU!!!"  god damn they hire anyone there.  this's like my second semester in EE too.  radioshack sucks ass.  their prices are ridiculous.
benjammin1414 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  

The only thing I could suggest is using DEI's 530T.  This window module has a build in resistance meter and tests when the resistance gets to high like when with window reaches it’s full up or down position and then cuts the power to the motor.  Of course some motors and windows have higher resistance levels due to sticky or heavy windows so with DEI 530T you can adjust the resistance cut off point.

I’m sure you already knew this though.  And radio shack really does suck. 

Are you trying to control factory power windows or aftermarket installed power windows?

MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  
oh they're aftermarket.  that site has relays for cheap so i'm just buying ones that can handle the current.  i was doin most've the wiring tonite.  dammit i didn't realize my switches have the motor leads rest at ground though... dammit dammit dammit!!  my fault for not checking.  i assumed they had them float at rest.  i had all the relays wired up and everything...  what a waste of a couple hours.   i think after i finish the job and i get to play with it, i'll decide if i'd prefer one-touch operation..  from there i'll hafta figured somethin out. 
jgold47 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
the way the real modules work is by using the spike to shut off...I
Turkeylord 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
maybe you could use some auto-reset circuit breakers.. <shrug>
MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
oh just to update, i ended up just using relays that could handle the current spike.  i had to rewire everything to b/c i thought that my window leads floated at rest but it turns out that with the particular switches i have, the leads rest at ground...Remote Windows - Last Post -- posted image. anyways so i ended up just need to use 4SPDT relays (one per lead per window).  and yea these're aftermarket windows.  i'd still be interested in figuring out how to make your own cutoff switch for when though.  right now i have the windows setup so they're NOT one touch.  but it'd be cool to wire it to roll up when arming the alarm.  i figure i can use the (-) ground when armed output of my alarm to send a signal for the windows to roll up until it reaches the top.  i COULD just make some sorta time circuit an a lot the maximum time for when the windows are fully down but that's not the best solution b/c whenever i armed the system and the windows were already up it'd be sending the signal for the set amount of time.  not good for the motors.  hmmm.. anyone got suggestions?  someone mentioned auto-reset breakers? 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic