the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How do I instal dynamat/b-quiet corectly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Now that I got my stereo squared away and sounding decent my car is rattling pretty good. Plus although my Saturn is quiet compared to a lot of cars I've been in its not nearly as quiet as my friends Toyota Camry, which you can't even tell the engine is running when its idling. So I bought 50^ft of B-Quiet Extreme after recommendations from the forum and the info on there site (www.b-quiet.com). Now what are the normal areas to cover. I mean:
1. On doors I see people puting it on the door surface, right under your doors molding/fabric panel. Others are putting it inside the door, on the actual metal that makes the outer surface (I guess so the speaker performs better), others on both. What should I do and why? Should every hole thats in the metal be cut out of the material or can some be covered? My doors have a plastic liner across some holes (assuming moisture barrier), do I go over these and ack like its just part of the metal?
2. Some sites said make sure you do the rear strut towers as they produce lots of noise. If I take out my carpet and such do I need to do the entire strut to the top or can I leave the top two inches undone so when I put the carpet back in you can't tell its there, or is this where noise radiates from. I really would like to hide it all if possible to keep the car looking stock but I'll take performance over stock looks if I have to.
3. For the trunk do I do inside my spare tire well, along with the board that covers the well, or just the board that covers the well? If in the well I assume I should make sure drain holes are punched out if they exists.
4. For the floorboard do you cover every inch or just big strips. I ask because I know covering the entire thing will give best sound dampening but will strips (say covering 2/3 the surface) reduce the rattles completely?
5. The saturns middle console in front and back is plastic. Can I do the insides of these to prevent rattling? Same with the interior of the dash which is also plastic?
6. For the trunk, same as the floor, can I put a strip across it to prevent rattles without covering the entire thing?
7. Back of gas door o.k. or will this stuff react badly if a few drops of gaoline gets on it?
I bought 50^ft hoping to not have to cover everything but I can always get more once I have more cash to spend. Theres a lot of questions but I don't see them fully answered anywhere and I'm sure others are wondering. Thanks to all that reply, I want to make sure I do it the right way the first time.
Allan.
P.S. B-Quite says it can go on at room temperature without heating. Its 35 Deg outside in a unheated garage. Can I safely put this stuf fon with a hair dryer in this weather or should I wait a month for 50 - 60 sunny weather?
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Allan,
To address some of your questions first of all, there is no wrong way of applying the liner. To apply it correctly all you have to do is to apply it on a clean surface and avoid applying it to area where there is water running between the liner and the surfaces that it is attach to. Do you need to apply this stuff to the entire car? Yes, if you are planning to enter into competition where every dB counts. On the other hand, it is not necessary if want to just quiet down some of the rattle that is very present when the music is turn up.   The biggest noisemaker that I notice when I finish installing in a system has to be the license plate. On most occasions, it actually pumps out more noise than the actual subs. So, apply some on this problem first before you continue on to the next. Remember this vibration damping material does one important thing, it absorb all the incoming sound waves energy and dissipate them. In other words, the bigger the surface area that you apply this material to, the greater the dissipation of the vibration.
I get my vibration damping at cost, so it’s doesn’t hurt to do my entire car. However, if you are on a budget the most cost-effective way is to start by listening to where the vibration is coming from. You will be surprise how effective this material can be if you can pinpoint where the vibration is coming from.   Clean the surface area, and apply the damping material on it. If you come across some bump and grove on the surface area, used a roller and razor blade. Cut out the air pocket and work the material in to the body surface. When you eliminate air pockets it will ensure a lasting adhesion of the damping material to the surface giving you the maximum damping effect. In the long run if you want to prevent the damping material from peeling you can get some aluminum tape at your local home hardware store and tape the edge of the damping material so that debris and moisture don’t get into it. Don’t apply this in the cold. I lived in Canada and I did it in the winter once, the adhesive doesn’t work very well. How do I instal dynamat/b-quiet corectly? -- posted image. Do it in room temperature with a heat gun or hairdryer, once this material is warm it really nice to work with. Some installer that I know used spray adhesive, but personally if you clean the surface area well enough it will stick very firmly on to the surface that you are applying to. If you are able to remove parts out of your car to apply the material then do so. Beside, it’s much easier and you can get all the air pockets out. Anyway, I hope this will help.
p.n.
How do I instal dynamat/b-quiet corectly? -- posted image.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.How do I instal dynamat/b-quiet corectly? -- posted image.
vseven 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks p.n. for a good overview on what I should try and do. Hopefully we have a warm snap sometime soon or I'm going to have a big roll of B-Quiet in my basemen for a while. Anyone have specifics, like my question about the doors, outside, inside, both. Or has anyone installed dampening material and then had to go back because they missed spots that made noise?   What spots were they, or what did you do that helped a lot.
Allan.
vseven 
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well, not getting a lot of info so I emailed the people at URL=http://www.B-Quiet.com]B-Quiet[/URL] the list of questions and heres what I got back:
1. Applying the material to the "inside" requires adequate access to that area. This varies from vehicle to vehicle. Ideally, for best results, both areas should be covered, but this isn't always possible, so just the outer area is covered.
2. Noise characteristics of individual vehicles vary tremendously. I don't have personal experience with Saturns, but if you've spoken to someone else with a Saturn and they've suggested full coverage of the strut
towers, then it'd be a good idea to do so.
3. Typically just the well itself, not the board. Take care to pay attention for drain holes in the well and inside the doors.
4. You can get away with 2/3 to 3/4 coverage, but full coverage will of course provide the best results.
5. Yes you can.
6. Again, you can get away with partial coverage, but the results will not be as good as complete coverage.
7. I would advise against installing it on the gas door.
Thanks to Wade at B-Quiet for the answers, hopefully this info along with thepencils post will help everyone as much as it will help me.
Allan.
vseven 
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
I really need to preview these posts. The web site link is www.B-Quiet.com
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I hear that a great idea for your doors is to strip the door down to bear metal, cover the large holes in the door with thin metal sheeting and lay your sound dampning over your the entire flat surface. This enables you to cover more surface area with the dampning material and it creats sort of a chamber for your door speakers which give them better bass reproduction.
acq810z 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished my install of Brownbread and I must say that it made a huge difference in the sound of my civic.  As for inside the door i didnt place any in there.  I just placed it between the inner part of the door and the door pannel.  be careful though.  if you get it stuck to the rods for the locks you will have a big mess when trying to figure out why your door doesnt lock and you have to remove it.  (trust me i accidently did it lol)  anyways.   here is how i applied my Brown bread

• Trunk Spare Well & Entire Trunk Floor- 2 layers (B-Quiet claims it is 3 times better with 2 layers than just 1)
  • Trunk Walls (inside of rear qtr pannels) - a few small 8"x8" pieces
  • Rear shock towers - 1 layer
  • under rear seat - 1 layer
  • sides of rear seat  - few 8"x8" squares against extierior pannel; fully covered inside sheet metal.
  • Floor - 1 Layer fully covered (might go back for second)
  • Doors - 1 Layer on metal just underneath door pannel (NOT on exterior sheetmetal)
  • Exaust Tunnel Between seats - 2 Layers
  • Rear License Plate - 2 2"x2" squares in center of plate

I still have to do my trunk lid but i need to find out what is wrong with my latch first.  Keep in mind once this stuff is on, it really doesnt want to come off!

Over all i have put about 100 ft^3 of Brownbread in my car and I have noticed a great deal of difference.  I agree with thepencil about finding the vibrations helps alot especially if you are on a budget.  i recomend you at least take a look at a few things first (trunk latch, door latches, license plates) and see if those are producing excess noise.....on most newer cars this isnt a problem but it is better to find the simple things first when they are simple before you have to tear all of you nice brownbread off after you spent hours putting it on. 

If you would like to look at the first stages of my Brownbread install go here http://www.cardomain.com/id/acq810z

Q

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic