icon

electric windows issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
God post and I know this is chancey but I THINK all aftermarket power  window kits except VW Polo MkII and MKII Golf use neg at rest. The above used pos at rest.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I drew the pic after looking at his diagram.  He had a red wire coming from battery going directly to the relays.  Since his wire was red, I assumed it was positive.  After I posted it somebody else caught it and I revised instructions on my next post.  The red wire he had was actually connected to the negative terminal of the battery. 
twinpawer 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
First of all, sorry for misguiding you by coloring the negative wire as 'red', I was simply choosing different colors from the palette at for some reason at that moment forgot the assumptions with the red color in wiring. I've did 2 other diagrams, based on the diagram provided and the current switch setup.motor.
electric windows issue - Page 2 -- posted image.
Here is my current switch setup, basically the driver side is connected to the passenger side, with 3 wires. One is always +ve, while the 2 others are "control" wires, that are +ve or -ve according to the switch pressed in the driver's side. Irrespective of which switch is pressed (driver side or passenger), the output to motor (labeled wire A & B), are either both "nothing" (0v I presume), or A +ve, B -ve in for going up, and A -ve, B +ve when going down.
I've changed the ground and +ve feed as you said. I was not sure with the "switched +ve 12V" on top, but I did a dry run on the circuit and it seems as it should be ground, for it to work well. I don't know if this is correct, but I think the relay setup should go in between the switch and the motor, thus it would involve cutting the wire A and wire B, and connecting the wire A and wire B from the switches to the "switches input" of the relay diagram, and the outputs that should go to the motor to the other end of wire A and wire B. Correct me if i'm wrong, please.
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
The only adjustment that needed to be made was to the 2 centermost pins of the picture, you changed it all, you now have a reversal rest at 12v which will work, just safer to have a rest at ground.
What you have drawn will work fine.
twinpawer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  
ah now i understand what you meant. Can you please confirm if this is what you meant, so as to be sure before wiring the relays?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
How about plan "B".  One of the 3 cables going from drivers side to passenger side should be 12v+  when ign is on. Break this and feed to 86, ground to 85, battery at 15amp fused to 87 and 30 to cut cable going  to pasenger switch. that should eliminate any voltage drops.
twinpawer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
yes, howiee, I understand what you mean. However, the problem seems to be something with the switch as I tried that out and it does not do much difference. The wires are standard, with the aftermarket kit, so as another one pointed out, I presume they did make wires as thick as needed.   Thus, the switch might be including some resistance that is dropping the voltage further, so the best way I presume would be the switch controls the relay, which control the motors directly from battery.
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for tactfully pointing out that most window kits rest at ground. I didn't mean to throw any further confusion into this. Apparently I "misremembered" the correct wiring of even my own truck which has a SPAL kit. I know rest at negative is safer, but for some reason I thought it was positive.
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
Twin, that picture appears to be correct.
twinpawer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
good, i'll try and wire that later on today or tomorrow. Thanks for the info bdw, you've saved me some space near the door by using only 2 relays instead of 4 :) Will post here how it went.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic