icon

old alarm on a Isuzu Rodeo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crutch 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2002 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a used Isuzu Rodeo.  I believe that there was once an alarm installed on the vehicle because I have found an aftermarket toggle switch installed on the dash and a LED on the dash.  I have traced the wires however I am unable to figure out were they lead.  Does this mean that there once was an alarm on the vehicle and if so how can I reinstall it.  Also my Illumination controls are out I dont believe that it is the switch itself however there are so many wires that go to it I am not sure were to start.  I have already checked the wires going into the stereo and they work.  Please help me because I really hate using a flashlight just to see how fast I am going at night. The Rodeo is a 94 any help would be useful
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2002 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Crutch,

Let's do this the right way.  First of all clean out all the junk wiring that isn't factory original.  If any wires were cut...then reconnect them.  The dash lights are fed by fuse 10 in the underdash fusebox on the left side of the vehicle.  This fuse goes to the light switch from there it is a GREEN/ red going to the bulbs.  The dimmer control feeds the "ground" to your bulbs and it is a RED / green.  Let's start here and let me know what happens next.

As for the alarm. . .forget for now until you get all the bugs out!  old alarm on a Isuzu Rodeo -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2002 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, what Big Dog said.

Check the fuses for the dash lights and parking lights, replace any that are blown.  If it all works, fine, but it's likely the fuse will just blow again--there must be a problem.

I would say the biggest reason for that fuse to blow would be improper aftermarket radio installation---was that radio installed using a wire harness adapter, or have the factory plugs been cut off?

Barring that, a bad alarm install could blow the fuse too.  Or perhaps the alarm was installed properly, but then carelessly ripped out in a hurry, which might be your case.

You were on the right track by following the wires from the LED and toggle switch.  But you'll have to keep following them, taking apart whatever you have to, to see where they lead.  You may find they just end in bare wires, or a series of plugs.  Or maybe there's a good alarm there, and you just need to buy a remote...you won't know until you check more thoroughly.

While you're following all those wires, look for any points where they're frayed, broken, untaped, or whatever...that might be the problem with your dash lights.

crutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2002 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

When I first bought the vehicle I installed a new stereo by using a wire harness adapter.  Everything worked fine.  I had it stolen about two weeks ago and they cut the factory plugs.  I then installed another stereo and I had to find out what every wire was, to do this I purchased  a book that gave me the "Typical Wire conections for the stereo hookup".  The only problem I had with this is I had to hook up the Illumination wire (GREEN/ red) and the light switch controller wire (RED / green) to the stereo's Illumination wire for the stereo to work.  What I am not sure is if the Illumination  worked before I installed the stereo or if it was when I installed the stereo.  I then took out the stereo and it still did not work.  I have even went so far as to take apart the dash to check the individual light bulbs.  As far as the alarm Big Dog you said to take out all of the wires that are not factory well today when I was working on my engine I found what I believe is the siren and it still has its wires going to it.  If that is what it is then it was installed by a profesional.  If this is an alarm I would like to keep it in tact for future use.  Do you still recommend taking it out and just keeping all of it together until I get everything else working right?

Thank You and any more help would be grateful

Big Dog 
Posted: May 31, 2002 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Crutch,

Did I read properly?  Did you say that you hooked up the RED / green dimmer wire to your head unit for it to work?  This is a definite no-no.  When a head unit asks for an illumination wire it's always the positive signal.  How is it that it doesn't work without these wires?  But we'll come back to that later. 

Let's do some troubleshooting:

1) Check the illumination fuse. . .if O.K. then step 2.

2) Go to the dimmer control unplug the connector and temporarily ground out the RED / green and see if the bulbs light up.  If they do then the control might be defective.

Be sure that you don't confuse RED / green with GREEN/ red.  RED / green is a red wire with a green stripe.  old alarm on a Isuzu Rodeo -- posted image.

crutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2002 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

Big Dog,

I know it has been a while since I have replied.  First I did what you said and checked the illumination fuse.  Its good.

I then went to step two.  no luck with the dimmer control.

Where should I try next.  I believe it has something to do with my stereo installation, because thats when the ligts stopped working.

Thanks

crutch

Big Dog 
Posted: June 20, 2002 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hey crutch,

When you say that you went to the dimmer and no luck, what did you do?

crutch 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2002 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

Big Dog

I took a ground wire and connected it to the RED / green wire and nothing happened.

crutch

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic