the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

improving my subwoofer enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

jmalbright, very well written and supported topic;  I commend you.

I believe the intent of DYohn's post "in-car group delay under 20 msec  at 20Hz and under 10 msec at 40 Hz" was referring to one gradual slope, that is, the slope on the upside of the peak.  You are looking for a sloping change from better to worse as you look at the response down through the frequency range.  In this case, the peak has already ocurred at 24 Hz before the group delay becomes "acceptable" at 20 Hz.  The reason for acceptable response below 24 Hz, in this chart, is because of lack of output;  there is greatly diminished sound below 24 Hz.

You may not be able to improve this response and still build an enclosure that will fit the car and give you everything else you're looking for.  It's one of the tradeoffs you'll be balancing as you complete the design.  And keep real life in your vision as you do these models;  how much of the material you will listen to will fall into the below-30Hz realm?

DYohn will correct me if I erred in this response.  And DYohn, thanks for clarifying for me.  Standing waves have always made my head hurt.  I'm trying now to find out how I would determine the standing wave frequency of a given room, per your instruction "Determine the standing wave frequency of the space".

Believe me, people:  there are a lot of things that come easy to me, but physics is not one of them!

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/mmedia/waves/swf.html

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

improving my subwoofer enclosure - Page 2 -- posted image.  Thank you.  And I assume if we're dealing with an automobile that it is trial and error, and experience.

As Mr. James Dyson, aka Dr. Bose Jr., says in his TV ad about the vacuum cleaner (use a British accent as you lip-read this):  "I made 5000 prototypes - that's 5000 mistakes - before I got it perfected."

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jmalbright 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
That's your port tuning frequency, right?
     Yeah, the tuning frequency is approximately 27Hz.
stevdart wrote:
jmalbright, very well written and supported topic; I commend you.
     Thank you. I have found that the more concisely you pose your questions, the clearer the answer will be to them.
stevdart wrote:
And keep real life in your vision as you do these models; how much of the material you will listen to will fall into the below-30Hz realm?
     Probably not a lot from what I understand. Furthermore, I was planning on using a subsonic filter at around 25Hz because that's where my subwoofer is predicted to start to enter the realm of over-excursion.
     On another note, however, when I modeled a 2nd order, butterworth, 25Hz highpass filter my group delay really went to hell in a handbasket. Now, I'm not sure what to do.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

jmalbright wrote:
the realm of over-excursion

Nice.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
WinISD can only go so far.
I used to run a single 15 inch JL 15W4 in 4.3 cu ft ported at 40Hz with 112.5 sq inches of port area.
The excursion graph on WinISD showed major excursion problems...in real life though with the sub receiving 3 times the rated power handling the sub barely even looked like it was moving much at all...yet was loud as hell. Never even used a subsonic filter....didn't have any problems at alal. The sub moved MUCH more in a sealed enclosure.
jmalbright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
WinISD can only go so far.
I used to run a single 15 inch JL 15W4 in 4.3 cu ft ported at 40Hz with 112.5 sq inches of port area.
The excursion graph on WinISD showed major excursion problems...in real life though with the sub receiving 3 times the rated power handling the sub barely even looked like it was moving much at all...yet was loud as hell. Never even used a subsonic filter....didn't have any problems at alal. The sub moved MUCH more in a sealed enclosure.
Sure, I understand that the picture WinIsd paints is only a model, but it's the best I have right now.
jmalbright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of questions about ports.
1) Does it matter where the port originates and terminates? For example, say I had a fairly large enclosure. Would it matter if the port inlet is located at the upper left corner as opposed to the lower right corner of the enclosure? Similarly for the port exit.
2) Would PVC pipe work well for a port? I was thinking about using 5"-6" PVC because it would be an easy way to keep a very consistent port diameter. Also, my port is going to have to be fairly long (~40") so I was thinking that with the right elbows and such PVC would be easy to snake around my enclosure so I could get the correct length. I'm not sure how PVC will perform as a port material though.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

1.  In general, no, although subwoofers tend to be more predictable with the port opening on the same baffle as the driver.

2.  PVC pipe is what I usually use.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
40 inch long port at 5 or 6 inches diameter??  Ewwww...that's a lot of port.  Should that box have been better sealed instead?  Did I look at this (sounds almost familiar, in an almost familiar kind of way)?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic