icon

1997 sunfire, scytek visionguard

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

I know people get asked this 1000 times, and I appologize, but no matter how much reading/researching and trying I do, I can not get it.  Everything is connected on my Scytek Visionguard except for the tach wire,  I simply can not get it!  My car is a 1997 2dr 2.2 L manual Pontiac Sunfire. 

I've read purple wire in engine harness, next to battery, below radiator hose, above transmission, over and over.  I look in the wire loom there, and I test all the purple wires, and no go.  I use my multimeter set on AC volts (200V (lowest setting there)). 

Finally, I read on j-body.org (site dedicated to cavs and fires) that someone used an orange wire in the engine harness.  So I test it, and with the car idling I read 0.6, and when I rev the engine I can get it up to like 1.9.  I figured I would try it, since it varies directly according to my RPMs. 

Well I don't think it worked, cuz I still cant start my car because the alarm can't learn the car's tach signal.  So really, I need your help, I started this install last October, and I had to stop because I don't have a garage and it got too cold (Montreal winter)....so I would really like to finish this install.  Can somebody please provide some insight.  Thank you!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Astro says..(in that harness you looked for purple wire) find a white one. Try that one.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
On the left side of the engine you'll see the ignition module with the spark plug wires coming from it. White or PURPLE / white wires will work for you.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Also, how are you going through the tach learning procedure?
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Tach learning I do like this. 

1) Insert key turn to on position

2) Hit valet switch 5 times to go into program mode

3) Hit valet switch another 21 times to go to RPM Learn/Gas Engine/ Diesel Engine

4) Start Car

5)Press button 1 on remote to chose RPM Learn.

6) Wait FOREVER, and I dont get a signal (should beep 1 time) to say it worked.  Nor do I get a signal (4 beeps) to say it didnt work.

So.....to me there isn't enough voltage in the orange wire for it to detect it.  Anyways, so I use the WHITE wire from there?  Its hard to determine which wires are white as they're full of dirt, engine degreaser ok to you on them, or will it eat the insulation?

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
First thing - try switching around steps 3 and 4 there...you go into programming mode, start the car(it will stay in programming mode as long as the ignition's on), and then hit the button 21 more times.
Second - you can use the white or the PURPLE / white, if there is one. I've used both as tach signals on cavalier/sunfire of that vintage. I wouldn't suggest degreaser - just wiping it off with a paper towel/shop rag should clear things up.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic