Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
I like that last one. Pretty sweet!
floaterr 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have actually seen this one work on theives.
If it's an automatic open up the housing around the gear selector and disconnect the start in "PARK" safety swtich. There should be one there and one in the "NEUTRAL" position. This way the vehicle can only be started when you move the gear selector to "NEUTRAL".
Spend all day under the dash looking for an alarm or starter kill relay that doesn't exsist.
shawoo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

Why dont you just use your factory alarm, use the Autolock, and the club.  Its all about layers.  Granted the club will take only a few seconds to get through, but it adds up to 3 things that the crook need to get through before he gets yoru car, and the autolock is great because it physically restricts operation, rather then a wire they can get around. 

If anything, atleast get the autolock, i sleep much better knowing my civic has it

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
ok I just noticed that your civic does not have an immobilizer. You should definately get an alarm installed.
If you use a passive starter kill relay, you should make sure that it is well disguised, or hidden, and it should be done as close to the firewall as you can get it. That way it will be more effective when the thief tries to hot wire the car because he will be trying to hot wire it before the relay. If you put the relay right in the middle of the wire then the thief could easily just cut the wire on the engine side and be gone.
You need to get a nice alarm with a back up siren, and some internal sirens to blow off the ears of the thief. Put one under the dash that they cant easily disable, so they wont even try to hot wire it.
You may want to think about installing a shock sensor though before doing so since those can cause false alarms in the middle of the night and cause a never cry wolf syndrome for you and the neighbors.
You should get a 2 way unit so that when your alarm goes off you are notified inside your house.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
hey, you might wanna check out this page, and checkout the word document. It's a pretty cool way to hookup a fuel kill. It's got a valet button and everything!The only thing I don't like about it is that your whole car is pretty much relying on one relay while you'redriving. If that relay fails, won't your car just shutoff? I guess you could always flick the valet switchto bypass it...but what about when you're driving andit fails.
CivicTypeR 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Damn you guys are awesome. Throwing all kinda of ideas my way. What are some good brand to look for when buying a two way alarm. Thanks Again.
floaterr 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Autopage 750LCD has good range and nice features. you can buy it under the Marksman and comustar name if you want.
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Now that I think about it, you dont necessarily need a 2 way alarm if you dont want. You could get a regular alarm and then buy a pager monitor like one of these: 
http://www.12voltshop.com/pager.asp
There are 2 different pager monitors there, and also a 2 way alarm starter system. I am not sure of the quality of any of these particular units, but I just wanted to show you your options.
I would recommend a complete 2 way alarm starter combo unit instead of getting a regular alarm and a pager. You dont need to use the starter features, but it will only add about 30 minutes to the install.
I am not familiar with a wide range of alarms since not many people need alarms where I am from, but I think for your purposes, you will not need many bells and wistles on the alarm since you will be using your own methods of making the alarm effective: like your starter kill relay and an extra siren and any other sensors you want can be added to any alarm.
Here is a great unit and it has a great price. I will tell you the install manual sucks, but with our help from this site, you will have no problem.
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?Productid=496
Email me if you are interested in one of these FM-5005 units and I can hook you up with one as well as some of the accessories you will need.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
I was going to edit my last post but sometimes that feature doesnt work. I wanted to change those websites to links.
I was also going to tell you that you should do a search for "FM 2 way alarms" on Google if you want to see more options.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
CivicTypeR 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks I'll check it out and see what I can find. I'll have never installed an alarm before. I no very basic wiring and I am sure that I could figure it out with your guys help. I'll get back with you guys about what I find on alarms
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic