icon

2003 S-10 radio opening size.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyace4 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 Chevrolet S-10 extended cab pickup truck that I am trying to find a radio for.

I want preamp outputs on the replacement after market radio and the opening on the 2003 S-10 is a odd size.

Pioneer makes a DEHP-77DHR tuner but from the people at Crutchfiel say the unit will not work.

Crutchfield is telling me to use a standard size radio with a adapter kit they have for a regular size radio.

Will a double DIN size be O.K. on this pick up?

any ideas on the strange size opening?

Thanks.

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

double din radio is too big and will not fit to my knowledge!  your best bet is to go with a nice din size radio and use a kit!  it will look great!

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just use the kit they suggest.  Follow all the directions and it'll look awesome.
Pat from All Th 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

I ran out of S-10 kits today and used a metra 99-2002 Caddy kit. Imounted the radio (a clarion) into the kit and used 2 backstraps in the ISO hole so I could screw it in from the front. It turned out great and the kit had a nice pocket in it.

Pat

Budcolektr@yahoo.com

GalpinAudio 
Copper - Posts: 44
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

The opening in an S-10 is a Din and 1/2.   You have 3 options:

1. Use the Install Kit and a Din radio

2. Find a Din & 1/2 radio that meets your requirements. 

3. Do major modification to the dash using fiberglass and such to fit a double din radio.

Your best bet is to just get the kit and a din size radio.  It will be cheaper, and easier and they look just fine.

Matthew

Never Let Those Who Say It Cant Be Done Stand In The Way While You Do It!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2003 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
The 2003 S-10 is not DIN 1/2; it looks to be the same size as what's in a 2002-up full-size fan, or a 2003 full-size truck, or a 2002-up Trailblazer.
skyace4, most likely, the only way to downgrade to aftermarket would be to use a kit for one of the above-mentioned vehicles, and a DIN sized radio.
Personally, though, I can't stand those tiny radios---I'd keep the factory one.
skyace4 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2003 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

From what the dealer of Chevrolets tells me the 2003 S-10 is a passlock 3 system truck, it does have mechanical roll down windows and no electric lock.

What else has GM done to the 2003 S-10 pickups to prevent any aftermarket products from being installed?

With all of the electronics being put into the new cars and trucks I am suprised that there is not a way that the F.B.I. can beam down a signal to prevent the vehicle from running if they thought someone did not pay the U.S. Income taxes.

Big brother is watching, welcome to the 21st. century.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2003 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think these advanced systems are making cars better, not worse. All kinds of cool stuff is happening---look at the entry-level Buick Century. When you open the doors with the keyless, the headlights, parking lights, and even the backup lights all come on---that's pretty cool.
Anyway, there's no such think as "passlock 3." There is PassKey III, which the S-10 doesn't have. You have Passlock II, which is an anti-theft device built into the ignition switch---this has been around for years, and interfacing with it to do remote start wouldn't be hard.
Also, since the S-10 is such an old design, I'd be fairly surprised if GM would invest in making many changes. The new Colorado is due out in a few months; this probably spells the demise of the S-10.
If you open the driver's door with a key in the ignition, where does the chime sound come from....beneath the dash, or from the left front speaker? If it's coming from the speaker, that's a pretty good sign that the radio is tied into the databus.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic