icon

how to intermittent wipers muscle cars

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seattle_ice 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

I have noticed a lot of people on various forums asking how to get intermittent wipers on the old one or two speed classic and muscle cars. There are a few intermittent controls available on the market, but the problem is that many of the older cars controlled the wiper motor through the ground, and it is not a straightforward wiring job. So I thought I would put this post up, and invite some discussion.

See the link for the article - http://www.nthtechnologies.com/Cars/Wipers.htm

Thanks

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I've used a DEI 528t for this, the polarity doesn't matter, neg or pos triggering and you can set it up to delay from 1 sec to 30, I've also used it on an old Honda with neg. going to give wash wipe instead of just washer.
seattle_ice 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I've used a DEI 528t for this, the polarity doesn't matter, neg or pos triggering and you can set it up to delay from 1 sec to 30, I've also used it on an old Honda with neg. going to give wash wipe instead of just washer.

How would you get multiple wipes doing that? I could see maybe with two 528's, but without a park switch on the motor, I don't see a way to retrigger the timer for more than one sweep.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I've built intermittent wiper controls using a 555 chip. Total cost including resistors and caps = $2 plus a relay. You need to connect to the low speed wire because opening the ground won't allow the wiper to park.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Big dog is right, my coment about a 528t was not knowing if you have circuits or the knowledge to build something, you can also make a circuit which gives you intervals of on-off-on etc. If you are using a neg trigger, the 528t will break it, then it shuts down and makes it again, oh I'm going nowhere3here arnen't I!
seattle_ice 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

Big Dog wrote:
I've built intermittent wiper controls using a 555 chip. Total cost including resistors and caps = $2 plus a relay. You need to connect to the low speed wire because opening the ground won't allow the wiper to park.

Actually, with the old style (read: Muscle car era) GM cars, the internal park switch has its own internal ground. You have to disconnect the low and high speed terminals from ground (switch), but leave them jumpered to each other for the motor to park.

The 2-speed motor operates in low speed when the high and low terminals are connected to each other and ground, in high speed when the high speed terminal is connected only to ground, and it parks when the ground is disconnected, but the high and low terminals are connected to each other. The original switch is wired to do this.

I actually have a newer style wiper switch that has the washer and intermittent wiper controls built in to it. It has a billet knob and looks perfect in my car. I can get it to run my motor fine for the low/high speed wipes, but the problem is that it expects a signal back from the parking switch in the motor once every revolution, so it knows when to shut off. So if you set the switch to intermittent, it just keeps going in low. The real problem is that if you push the handle for the washer function, it is set to give 3 wipes, so it will never shut off (even if you turn it off), since my motor has no park terminal to send a signal. All I would really need are 3 + pulses 1/2 second long, with a 1/2 second pause in between, triggered when the low speed wire from the switch gets power. how to intermittent wipers muscle cars - Last Post -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
Seattle, you were very succinct in your last post, thanks. There are kits available here (UK) by Vellerman, kit no. 100 I believe which will give you timed on off pulses, the overall time could be controlled by a modified version of above or a 528t so I think it's doable, Big Dog probably knows the answer. I beleive Vellerman is available in US so check their web sight.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2008 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Are you saying that the wiper motor has a mechanical stop that parks it? Or that the park wire is just completely internal to the motor?
If the latter is true, have you tried to disassemble the motor and connect to the park wire inside there?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
seattle_ice 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

chriswallace187 wrote:
Are you saying that the wiper motor has a mechanical stop that parks it? Or that the park wire is just completely internal to the motor?

The motor has an internal contact that maintains ground after the ground is removed by the switch.  This connection is broken mechanically once per revolution so the motor will stop at the correct park position.

If you look in my first post, there is a link to a schematic.  I am not sure how you would use that to generate a signal.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic