icon

ugrading alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe. When I am driving and I have the radio pumping AC on wipers going or Off my turn signal barely blink or do not blink at all. I have two Optima Yellow Caps and a 200 amp battery isolator along with a stock alternator putting out about  105 amps. Should I upgrade to 200amps?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
You should upgrade to as big as you can fit under the hood, and get rid of the isolator. The caps are worthless. When you upgrade your alternator and remove all unnecessary parts, I suggest also replacing BOTH batteries with an identical pair, as the two you already have (based on the type of listening habits you describe) are most likely beat to within an inch of their lives.
Also check grounds throughout the car; and replace your Big Three, too.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
So do not use the double battery Isolator? How will the other battery get a charge ? I tried the parellel thing before and I went through 2 alternators over time.
twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

you need to have Identical batteries within 3 months off the shelf (correct me if im wrong haemphyst ) for the parellel setup to work.  Plus you also need first and most importantly an alternator that can charge those 2 batteries while playing your system.

Right now your alternator cannot charge both those yellow tops while playing your system.  It's just too much of a load.  Im not surprised that you went through alternators before.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic