icon

door locking at certain speed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen these on factory alarm systems and also my fiance's aftermarket alarm has it (dont know how since its the same alarm as I have). Anyways, her doors lock when the car gets to 25mph BUT only when you give as hard acceleration. Does anyone know how this is done with factory alarm systems?
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
The OEM module recieves VSS, when it gets to a certain speed, it locks.   Never have seen an aftermarket alarm that does speed sensitive locks. Ever. I would hazard a guess that your fiance's vehicle has this as a feature already.....
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

I am not sure how they do it on the factory system, but if I had to guess, the system monitors the vss wire and when the car reaches the predetermined speed, it sends a signal to the BCM  (body control module) to lock the doors.  What kind of alarm does she have that only does it only under rapid acceleration? 

astrosurfer 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm
My 2001 chevy malibu does it at like 5 mph.
often wondered how it did it myself...lol
good info here
thanks.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: July 05, 2008 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen aftermarket speed controlled door locking systems - I'm sure they work the same as the OEM - through the VSS signal.
Kevin Pierson
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
There are aftermarket remote starters that have RPM sensitive locking. Since they are hooked up to a tach wire already they just wait until the RPM are a certain point above idle and then they lock the doors. The reason your gf's car has to accelerate hard before locking the doors is because accelerating slowly doesn't get the RPM's to a high enough point before shifting.
Compustar Pro units offer this feature, as well as older Clifford and Avital product (before they were acquired by DEI). I had an Avital 6500 that had it.
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
The alarm she has is a scytek 5100 RS and also has aftermarket door locks. She bought the car that way so I dont know how exactly they were wired up. The way her alarm is programed is to have ignition door locking and unlocking. When the car is turned off, the doors unlock like they are supposed to. When the car is started, the doors dont lock. You can be driving for an hour before the doors will lock. But I have been borrowing her car since tuesday since my car is it the garage and I take notice that if I accelerate up to 25mph, the doors will unlock, but if I happen to coast up to 25mph, they wont lock all the time. Its just weird. Is there a way to run a wire off of the VSS to a relay. The relay wont get engergized unless the VSS sends out the certain voltage, which in turn energizes the relay to lock the doors?
astrosurfer 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2008 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Shoot.
Now I don't actually recall if the car did this before we had the keyless entry/alarm installed.
I didn't install it...was shop done. Wrongly at first...LOL...went to drive away with it after paying and my alarm starts going off in their lot. Much to my displeasure I must say...lol.
They disabled it and fixed it the next day.
HMMM. puzzling indeed.
I'm thinking about replacing this system with a 2 way for my wife though. Soon as I can afford to. Gotta keep up with the times.
Besides she has to carry 2 fobs on the keys, 1 for alarm and 1 for starter, but that's been iffy lately. Replaced battery and seems fine for now tho'.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
i can confirm the scytek does have RPM door lock sensing. If the unit detects anything from 3500 - 4000 rpm, it will pulse to lock the doors. Its rare to find this feature on units but most cars on the market today will lock once its put into any gear besides Neutral or Park eg Toyota Camry
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: July 06, 2008 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Most Infinitis/Nissans won't auto lock, and a lot of Hondas won't either.  Apparantly the Japanese arn't very fond of this feature.

RPM locking isn't a very good way to auto lock - especially at 3500-4000 rpm!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic