background noise linked to rpms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grant2207 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Crap amp. Does the noise go away when you disconnect either end of the RCA cables? If not, then it is a crap amp, and you need a big, fat noise filter. In THIS case, a cap may help, but not for power supply stiffening, as they are often sold for.
If it does go away, then you have a ground loop, and you need to better ground all of your components, from the alternator back... ALL devices, including alternator ground, battery ground, engine ground (this is the big three...) deck, and amplifier. Is your amp grounded to a seat bolt? Bad mojo, there. Find a better place. Check the condition of your battery; go to your local autoparts store and have it load tested. A bad cell can reduce the filtering efficacy of the battery.

just like to say that this post made me feel very confident that i wasnt wasting my time trying to find a better ground spot.  thank you.  the whine goes away when i disconnect the rca from the amp itself.  my ground was the connection between the back of the seat hinge and the floor (the seats fold down so there is a large metal plate, for stabilities sake i would assume).  i think the problem lies in the paint that is lightly sprayed over the body of the car that is keeping the seat metal from being in direct contact with the body.  i think i found a spot BUT, it is not a direct contact, it is a piece welded to the car body.  My next question is wether the weld would alow proper electrical travel? i used the stock radio grounding, and i have not changed anything as far as the big three...

for those who asked, i am using a sony head unit, i forget the model but it is the cheapest ($75) one with the aux connection.

and by the ohms matching, i followed the tutorial for checking the rca ground and it said to touch the headunit case and the rca sheeth and see if the ohm output matched and it did, at about .5 ohms i believe...

also, i was showing my dad the sound it made to see if he had anything to add to my research (he has a somewhat random wealth of knowlege, so it never hurts to ask) and it didnt happen.  i tried a few times and the sound wasnt there.....but this morning when i went to work it was. idk

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Check the return resistance at your proposed ground spot.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Have you tried turning the gains of the amp all the way down?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic