why is my amp shutting down?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I see many people using the phrase "impedance load" here. This is NOT a correct phrase, it is either impedance OR load. They are the same and at the same time, VERY different. To use both is similar to saying "PIN Number". Personal Identification Number number... "ATM Machine". Automated Teller Machine machine... "The department of redundancy department".
Please stop doing it! why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.
The phrase is impedance, referring to the electrical load PRESENTED BY the speaker to the amplifier or load (definition 12), the electrical load SEEN BY the amplifer and an indicator of how much work the amplifier is expected to do, but PLEASE not both!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I got yer load right here, buddy.  why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
snowsoldier wrote:

i have both of my subs wired in series at 2 ohms. i was gonna make my way to a shop tonight and pick up some bigger wire and do the big 3 on my truck this weekend. i was also going to look into buying a capacitor for my system. i dont understand why people are saying that they are useless.... if they were why would they be used for vfd's and capacitor start motors in the oilfield and gas industry?

"Wired in series at 2-ohms."  How many voice coils and what impedance are they?  And how did you set your gain?  And like I asked before, what is the system voltage when your amp shuts down??

Caps are not "useless."  They work well for what they do, but what they do is different from what most people expect them to do.  In most cases they will not help with dimming lights and certainly not with main power issues.  If the alternator and the system wiring cannot keep up with the load, then a cap will only make matters worse, not better.

Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I got yer load right here, buddy. why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.
lol just pushing yer buttons, boss.
DYohn 
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
DYohn wrote:
I got yer load right here, buddy. why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.
lol just pushing yer buttons, boss.

He he, I know, just pushing 'em back!  why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

jmelton86 wrote:
Ooh, ooh! I found a way to use them both in a sentence!
'the impedance curve of the load.' -Does that work?

Here's my try at it: 

When wiring the subs, always ask yourself:  "Will the impedance load the amplifier beyond its capacity?"

why is my amp shutting down? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
Ha, that works.
snowsoldier 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
well when my bass hits it drops down to like 11.14 V then it charges back up then hen the bass hits again it drops down to like 11.42V that is when it shuts down. my gain is set at 3/4 on the 0.1 V - 1.0 V. if that makes sence to you. Its a dual coil and 2 ohms.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Tell me more about your ground and the return resistance please....... Bad ground = big problems that manifest itself as power is increased.....

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 17, 2008 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
How do you have the 2 woofers wired in series to achieve a 2 ohm load?    Are they 1 Ohm speakers?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic