the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

150 amp thermal circuit breaker for sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samsizzle 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I bought one of these 150 amp thermal circuit breaker for sub? -- posted image., and was wondering if i could use it as my fuse for my sub? I am pushing 1000watts to an alpine 12' type x.
I found this circuit breaker at my local hardware store and saw that it protects against 150 amperes, and i kept blowing 80 amp agu fuses so i decided to pick this up and ask if it would work..
so whats the verdict on this thing?
thanks in advance :)
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
What type of amp are you using to blow this 80 amp fuse?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
Here again Crystal Balls are in order.
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
What type of amp are you using to blow this 80 amp fuse?
i think i may have confused you, let me clarify..
I am blowing 80 amp agu fuses(glass tube), this thermal circuit breaker is 150 amps and i have not installed it yet. My question is if I can install this on my 2 gauge wire in my engine compartment without harming my system..
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Here again Crystal Balls are in order.
whaaat??
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Is it a 12VDC breaker?  If so, sure you can use it.  The crystal balls comment is because you did not list enough information as requested in the forum rules and user guidelines  so we could help you decide if it was appropriate to your system.  Information such as speaker and amp make/model, what size wire you're using for power and ground, etc. is necessary.
Support the12volt.com
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
it says 42 volt dc maximum ignition protected waterproof on it... does that mean its not compatible??
I am running 2 gauge wire to the amp, a mrd-m1005 (1000watt) to a 12' alpine type x.
any more information needed? i calculated it to needing around 100 amps, so will this circuit break work? i dont understand what the 42 volts dc maximum means if someone can clarify... thanks
rmr this was from hardware store not a car audio store.. so it might have a different function??
samsizzle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
alright so i plugged it in and it works... im just afraid that it will let too much power flow through.. 150 amps may be too much..
thanks anyway
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
150 amps is fine for your 2 Ga. wire.   The 42 volts rating only means that when the breaker breaks the circuit, the contacts are spread far enough apart to not allow 42 volts or less to arc across them.   Most automotive fuses are rated at 32 volts.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2008 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
samsizzle wrote:
alright so i plugged it in and it works... im just afraid that it will let too much power flow through.. 150 amps may be too much..
thanks anyway
It won't. I can tell you do not understand enough about Ohm's Law. The fuse isn't there to limit current in the way you think it is - "keeping too much current" from gettting to the amplifier. The fuse is there to open the circuit should an overcurrent (imagine your #2's insulation getting cut for some reason, and the wire inside making contact with the chassis - in an accident, for example) situation occur, preventing the overcurrent situation from causing damage or even continuing. The underhood protection is for the wire, NOT FOR THE AMP. The amp is only going to pull as much current as it has to have, and in your case, it seems to be somewhere over 80A, since you are blowing fuses rated for that much. Since #2 wire is safe for current capacities up to 225A (the largest value you will EVER put into a #2) a circuit protection device rated for 150A will service perfectly well. If you are blowing 80A fuses, why not put in a blade-fuse-holder, and put a 225A fuse in it? That is the way I would go.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic