icon

external acc switch to bypass using key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redstealthrt 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone i am looking in trying to hook up a switch so that i can roll my windows up/down without having to put the key into the ignition and turn it to "ACC/ON" mode in order to do so. Could someone share their knowledge with me on how to go about doing something like this?
Thanks! :)
David
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
can you tell us what vehicle you want to do this to?
redstealthrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Sure. A 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. I already know what wires there are for the ACC/IGN and so on, i just need to know what all needs to be hooked up to a switch in order for me to be able to use that instead of my key to be placed in the ACC or "on" position.
Thanks,
David
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
with a fused lead, connect a wire from 12v conatant into one side of a toggle or rocker switch. connect the other side of the switch to the acc wire in the ignition harness. thats it.
redstealthrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:
with a fused lead, connect a wire from 12v conatant into one side of a toggle or rocker switch. connect the other side of the switch to the acc wire in the ignition harness. thats it.
Wow ckeeler, really? That's all that i would have to do?? What would i need to do in order to start it then if i have that switch plus a push button switch to start it?
David
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
then... you also would need another switch to trigger a couple of relays(one for each ignition wire) that would power the ignition wires. then when you pushed your start button you'd be running. use 10ga or 12ga wire to do these circuits. also use 10ga or 12ga for the toggle you wanted to use for the acc on to roll up your windows. unless you disable you steering lock though, you still need a key anyway. and if you did disable the lock, without a security system, or RFID system, anybody could just break a window, flip the switches, push the start button and drive away. just something you might consider.
redstealthrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Here is the schema for my car...
external acc switch to bypass using key -- posted image.
Could u let me know if this is what you are talking about?
---fuse--12v--->|Switch|<---acc wire---
---relay1--|
   |-->--Ign wire--->|Switch|<---?? Ground?
---relay2--|
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
wire the ignition relays as follows: 12v from the white wire in the ignition harness into the rocker switch, out of the switch to term 86 of 1st relay for ign1 and term 86 of 2nd relay for ign2, term 85 of both relays to ground, term 87 of 1st relay to BLACK/ white in the ignition harness(use 10ga wire), 87 of 2nd relay to blue/black in the ignition harness(use 10ga wire), term 30 on both relays connect each to their own separate 10ga wire and connect to the battery(fuse them at the battery with 20a fuses).
redstealthrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler thank you for clearing it all up for me :)
For the rocker switch.. would i need a DPDT, SPDT or just a Momentary one?
And for the relays i will be using these: external acc switch to bypass using key -- posted image. (Or equivalent). Power Relay, 12v, SPDT, PCB Mount, 10/12A 125VAC, 10A 277VAC, 1/4HP 125VAC
Do i need a more powerful relay that what i listed?
David
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

for the acc and ign rocker switches, just use a standard SPST rocker switch. if you want to, you can even get ones that light when they are on. use a momentary push or rocker only for the starter. use standard 12vdc SPDT bosch, hella, or potter & brumfield relays, they should be able to hold 30amps of current each between terminal 87 and 30. actually, any brand will work, those i named are just the best.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic