icon

have i blown my amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncchance 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Alright these are the reading I got after testing. In order to keep me from confusing myself I'm numbered each leg of the transistor 1, 2, or 3. 1 being the closest to the RCA inputs and 3 being the closest to the power block.
Q44: 1 - 2 = 0.645 steady
     1 - 3 = 1.3 and climbing
     2 - 3 = 1.600 and climbing
Q45: 1 - 2 = 0.660 steady
     1 - 3 = 0.660 and climbing - Sometimes it reads 0.231 climbs and beeps for a few seconds then stops, and other times it doesn't.
     2 - 3 = 0.604 slowly dropping
I don't think I am making any inadvertent contacts. Do these results seem accurate?
"I've only gotten this far because I'm known for making every project 10x more difficult than it ever needed to be."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

When performing the following tests,  about 30 seconds into it, put your finger really close to the top of the 494 to see if it is getting hot.  Do not touch it, it may get really hot.  If it is even warm you can stop testing, it is bad.

Try connecting the remote lead and the jumper back to the fuse holder.  Do you have any alligator clips so you can connect the jumper and have both hands free to take some readings with the meter.    With the black meter lead on the ground terminal of the amp, meter to DC Volts, red lead to power terminal, then to the remote terminal, just to verify the amp is getting power.  Leave black lead there and check the following pins on the 494.  7 should read 0   8 should read 12    9 and 10 should be around 5.  11 should be the same as 8.  12 should read 12.   Let me know what you find out.

ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

Here are the results I got last night.

Pin 7 = 0

Pin 8 = .004

Pin 9 = 0

Pin 10 = .034

Pin 11 = 0

Pin 12 = 0

So I've got what is most likely a stupid question. From what I've experienced in the past whenever something isn't working then you come to find something else isn't working...sometimes they have a common fault. This is a shot in the dark here, but I found out last night that the relay I use to run a fan above my HU and to send the remote wire back to my rear amplifiers wasn't working 100%. It wouldn't turn the fan on, but it was switching my other amp in the rear on. Is it possible that this relay hasn't been sending enough juice to power the remotes for two amps?

What I've done while the orion amp has been out of commission is running my subs off the amp that typically ran the 6 x 9s in my rear deck. I'm basically running a panaroamic front stage with subs. Perhaps the relay was working just enough to switch the one amp.....

Now that I think more about it that is completely inane. If the relay switches at all it is switched and that's just that. Correct? Also, it wouldn't have a whole lot to do with the readings I'm getting from the pins of the 494 because we're sending direct power to the amp. I don't know...I think I'm just grabbing out at anything in desperation. I went ahead and replaced the relay with one I had laying around. The fan started working again. If you think it'd be worth it I can get new readings after work and let you know what I get at about 4:45 - 5:00.  Haha, if you feel the need to berate me, go ahead, I'll understand. lol

"I've only gotten this far because I'm known for making every project 10x more difficult than it ever needed to be."
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention that switching the fuse locations gave me different readings at the pins. I wrote them down on a different slips of paper, but I must have lost it somewhere. The only difference I can recall was at pins 8 and 12 where I got 0.345 for both of them.
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

8 and 11 should have near 12 volts.  Pin 12 should have 12 volts on it. You must have a bad solder joint on pin 12.  You are connecting the wire from pin 12 to the fuse.  You need to figure out why there is not 12 volts on pin 12. 

ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I was reading over the past few posts and somehow I inadvertantly overlooked the sentences about the 494 getting warm. That being the case I paid no attention to how it responded. After I resolder all of the  jumper's joints I will run the test again and make certain to pay attention to the 494's response.
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
You need to figure out why there is no voltage on pin 12. Without power there, it will not get hot.
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2008 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
Haha, good point. Need I mention the fact that I'm slightly retarded? I didn't do anything yesterday because I worked until 10:00 last night, but hopefully I'll get the chance to work on it this evening.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
You should have received the amp and the parts by now. Let me know what you figure out with the parts. Hope you had a good Christmas.
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

I received the amp and the extra parts to repair the other amps. With your help I was able to replace the output transistors and get the US Acoustics working again. I have yet to repair the JL amp that I canabalized for its transistors, but that should be a breeze. I would have been completely done for without your help! I can't begin to explain how grateful I am for your work/assistance/patience/expertise/time...the list goes on and on. You are of extrodinary value to The12Volt.com!!! The amp works like a champ and it even performs better than ever! It turned out to be bad solder joints on both fuse blocks, one bad transistor, and a defective LED. There is no way I'd have even known how to check or even being to repair those problems. You did it all for a minimal cost and fast shipment! I will sing your praises for as long as you'll let me! Thanks again and best of luck in the new year!

Page of 6

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic