icon

have i blown my amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncchance 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Alrighty. I did everything exactly as you instructed. With the lead connected to the positive terminal of the amp and the other lead touching the middle leg of the transistor nearest to the transformer I got a reading of 0 Ohm. With the lead connected to the negative terminal on the amp and the other lead touching the right leg of the same transistor I got a reading of 0.136 Ohms. Sorry I'm a little later than anticipated...held up at work.
"I've only gotten this far because I'm known for making every project 10x more difficult than it ever needed to be."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

One meter lead on the center leg of the transistor and the other lead on the right leg of the transistor.    This should not be a dead short.  Then reverse the leads so that the one that was on center is now on right.  Notice and post both of those readings.  

ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Red lead to center leg and black lead to the right leg = starting at about 100.0 and just keep going up to about 345.1 and turns to 0. I've done this about 10 times each and sometimes it just stays at 0. Am I messing this up or is this a dead short?
Red lead to right leg and black lead to center leg = Same thing, only sometimes its starts at negative and then goes to 0.
I don't think I'm a total idiot, but it is completely possible. If it sounds like I'm messing it up I'll just score some alligator clips tomorrow and test it again. Sorry for the delays in response. I've got a whole lot going on right now.
"I've only gotten this far because I'm known for making every project 10x more difficult than it ever needed to be."
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
That is exactly what it is supposed to do if the power supply transistors are in working order. Put the clamp back on the transistors. There is a chip located between the power terminals and the transformer, what is the number on that chip. I am looking at ampguts, the only amp they have close is the 250G4. If the layout is not like the 225, the chip you are looking for is going to be numbered one of the following, 2 or 3 letters then the number 494 or 594 or 2 letters 3524, 3525, or 3526. Do you see such a chip?   and which one is it?    We are going to need to put the amp back in the car to do a little testing. leave the bottom cover off for now.
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

I've actually just now received your response. I would have checked for it one more time last night, but I had a lady friend pay me a visit. I'm glad to hear that something on this amp is working correctly.

Since I live pretty close to my office I'll run home during lunch and get the chip information for you.  I typically take either 11:00 or 12:00 lunches, just depends on how many research subjects actually show up today. It wouldn't be until 4:30ish that I'd be able to put the amp back into the car. I hope that's cool.

i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
Don't hurt yourself on my account.  Today tomorrow this weekend it makes ME no difference.
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
I appreciate that! I'm anxious to get this amp working again and to hopefully learn a ittle bit in the process. However, like I said, I do have a lot going on. Let's just plan for the lunch thing and we'll just see where it goes from there. I try to at least give you an approximate time of when I should have any information for you. That doesn't mean I expect you to respond then or even that day. Its just sort of a force of habit picked-up from work. Thanks again!
ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
What a suck butt day it has been. I've got the chip you are talking about. It has KIA494AP 026 printed on it. I can provide pictures if you'd like.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Put a 10 amp fuse in only one fuse holder of the amp.  No other fuses in the amp, only 1 10 amp fuse. 

Remember to reinstall the transistor clamp before putting the amp back in the car.  I need to know the DC voltage on a few pins of the 494.  Reconnect the amp and turn the radio on, connect the black meter lead to the ground terminal of the amp.  I need to know the voltage on pins 3,4,7 8,9,10,and 12.  Be very careful not to touch any 2 pins at one time.

have i blown my amplifier? - Page 3 -- posted image.

ncchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
I probably should have warned you. I get real anxious when I'm supposed to be very careful. I ended up accidentally arcing the positive and negative amp terminals resulting in a quick spit of sparks. The fuse was fine. It did leave a little brown pit in the negative terminal. I'm such a jackass...
These are the numbers I've recorded.
3 = 0
4 = 0
7 = -.001 (bounces between 0 and -.001)
8 = .062 and very slowly rising
9 = 0
10 = 0
12 = -.001 (bounces between 0 and -.001)
Here's the really odd thing. For someone unknown reason I decided to switch which side the 10 amp fuses was in. Here are the numbers I recorded with the fuse switched to the other slot:
3 = 0
4 = 0
7 = alternates between 0 and a long beep
8 = .713 and very slowly rises
9 = 0
10 = 0
12 = 1.104
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic