icon

Help With Chevy Tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmyinc 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2003 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
On my bosses Tahoe, he says the raido cuts out sometimes, It still has power, display is lit an the 'st' light is on verifying it has fm recetion. If you open the passenger door and slam it it comes back on. But, it does not require an vibration to turn off, he can be sitting a a stop light and the music stops playing.
Anyone got any idea what it could be? I would say the internal amplifier.
Thanks,Morgan
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Double check all the speaker connections, both at the back of the radio and then at each individual speaker.  If any of speaker wires has exposed wire and it touches metal in the vehicle, chances are the radio will go into speaker short protection.  It will appear to be functioning, just as you said, but there will be no sound coming out of it.  Since you said if you open one of the doors and slam it, it comes back on, you might want to check the wiring at that speaker first.
jmyinc 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
I thought of that but all of the speakers go out at the same time. I havent had a chance to look at it yet, im just going by what he is saying.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

That's okay that's what's supposed to happen.  All it takes is one shorted speaker, and the head unit goes into protect mode and shuts down all the amplification, for all the channels--usuallyHelp With Chevy Tahoe - Last Post -- posted image..  If the shorted speaker is the front left, all of the speakers should go out, although in some vehicles the two rear speaker would still be playing--it would just shut down the front left and front right amplified channels.  make sense?

I had this happen to me with a jeep cherokee one time, and it ended up being an exposed wire inside the black rubber wiring "boot" that covers the wires as they pass from the door jamb to the door.  a little piece of electrical tape to cover up the exposed part, and it was good to go.  hopefully it's that simple for you...

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

It's also possibly that it's a loose connection, but the short is more likely since more wires could short than power wires could be loose... but maybe someone put like a noise suppressor on and made a crappy connection or something.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic