remote start on a 2006 explorer.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bgnelson 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I have been pouring over these trying to find a specific solution for the addition of remote start to my truck.  I have a 2006 Ford Explorer that already has the keyless entry.  All I want to do is add the remote start and keep the factory fobs and everything.  Basically I just wanted to make sure before I order anything for it, that the following setup is all I would need and how hard it would be to hook up myself.  Ive done tons of car stereo installs but never tried a remote start.  Basically from what Ive gathered I need is a Directed Valet 561T Remote Start Module and a PKU-F2 Bypass.  So ultimately I am looking for all suggestions and maybe some confirmation on the hardware or maybe someone found a better way to do it while keeping the stock stuff and also trying to keep it inexpensive.  Thanks a bunch in advance!!

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
2 thoughts:
1. If your factory fobs don't work with the ignition on (some Fords do, some don't), you'll have no way of shutting the remote start off from a distance and you'll also either lose your keyless entry with engine running(if you activate the RS by the lock wire) or have your car unsecured during the remote start period(if you activate by the unlock wire). Best to check that out right away and consider spending the extra $20 for the 561R.
2. I've never used the PKU-F2; however I'm leery of any RF bypass on a Ford. I've struggled with getting the antenna placement just right on the key cylinder enough that I always use the XK04 or equivalent(which hardwires to the car).
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
bgnelson 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet and thanks for the tips.  I'll check on the remote thing in the morning and look into the other bypass.  If theres any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!!
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  
561t and PKUF2 will work fine on this car, remotes work while car is running.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  

The car will run after you RS so that's not a problem. It's a very easy install as far as RS go, single ignition, no factory alarm connections need to be made. I prefer the 556SW in these trucks but in general all bypasses seem to work well.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
All these guys are right on the bypasses. We each have our own opinion, but any of those modules should work.
Some modules, like the bypasskit.com XK04 or those from ifar.ca, splice into the immobilizer wiring inside the car's steering column, and communicate with the car via data.
Some others, like that one you mentioned, have a ring of wire that you just lay in place around the keyhole, and it communicates with the car via radio frequency, just like your factory keys do.
Placing that ring around the key cylinder requires some trial and error if you haven't done it before. If it shifts around over time (especially when it gets cold), the remote starter will stop working. But on your Explorer, it's just a rubber cover that pops off.....you could even fix the problem without any tools.
Where I work, we just use a blank, aftermarket Ford key, inside a universal RF bypass box, because it's less expensive than the Ford modules. But if the module makes it easier for you, and only costs a couple of dollars more, nothing wrong with that.
As for the remote start, yes, the 561T will do just what you want. And your Ford remotes will still work even after the remote start is turned on. (I think Panic might not work with the car running, but you'll still be able to unlock so you can get in.)
The final thing would be to go inside your house, hit the buttons on the Ford remote, and make sure there's enough range. If you can't lock the doors from inside your house, you won't be able to remote start it, either.
Also keep in mind that the remote start probably won't have enough range to work at the supermarket, or the mall, for example.
bgnelson 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the options/advice!!  Anyone done this install or one like it and have any install tips or tricks?  Is most of it done under the steering column?  Any suggestions as to where to put the box ect?  Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic