icon

competition box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robertn361 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Here is the pic that I took recently you can see the four holes on the top of the speaker box, barely but still visible:
competition box - Page 2 -- posted image.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
thats a ported bandpass box, seemingly dual chamber.
i cant remember, but i THINK its a 2nd order BP box.
as for the amp not driving the 2 subs, that depends on what the subs wattage is. if they are 500W each, then the 1000W amp would drive them just fine.
When you say the system sounds like crap after your friend messed with it, what has changed. Why exactly does it sound like crap now that it didnt before?
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Is that a Burger King kid's meal you're sporting there on the shelf? competition box - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
bigjohnny wrote:
as for the amp not driving the 2 subs, that depends on what the subs wattage is. if they are 500W each, then the 1000W amp would drive them just fine.
When you say the system sounds like crap after your friend messed with it, what has changed. Why exactly does it sound like crap now that it didnt before?
The subs are 600w each. When I first installed the system the bass and everything sounded good. My friends would tell me that they could hear me a block away. Now you can barely hear the bass or anything unless you are inside the car. The sound seems to be distorted.
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Paradigm wrote:
Is that a Burger King kid's meal you're sporting there on the shelf? competition box - Page 2 -- posted image.
LOL no it's McDonald'scompetition box - Page 2 -- posted image. I had just picked up McDonald's for my daughters.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
you shouldnt have any problems with that amp and those subs (except that they arent the same brand/type)
All you need to do is make sure that you set it up such that when its loud the amp isnt clipping.
the heat caused by distortion will fry a voice coil.
read the sticky for setting your gains and try doing that, it might get your sound back.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
bigjohnny wrote:
Only other way a bandpass wouldn't be ported is if you used a passive radiator.
Also that is a 4th order bandpass...not really "seemingly dual chamber"...a 4th order bandpass must have atleast two chambers.
I guarantee that bandpass sounded like crap as all prefab bandpasses sound like crap.
I'm sure I could get louder and sound better with a single woofer and half the power than that POS bandpass.
Those subs are not 600 watts either.
They look like 12s...good place to start for a loud ported enclosure for them is 2-2.5 cubes each net tuned to however you like your response
Custom Enclosure Design
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
Only other way a bandpass wouldn't be ported is if you used a passive radiator.
Also that is a 4th order bandpass...not really "seemingly dual chamber"...a 4th order bandpass must have atleast two chambers.
I guarantee that bandpass sounded like crap as all prefab bandpasses sound like crap.
I'm sure I could get louder and sound better with a single woofer and half the power than that POS bandpass.
Those subs are not 600 watts either.
They look like 12s...good place to start for a loud ported enclosure for them is 2-2.5 cubes each net tuned to however you like your response
Yes they are 600w each I'm looking at them right now. And yes it is 2 chamber. So how would I make them sound like they use to sound before my friend messed with them? They used to produce clear sound with lots of bass now they do not...
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Unhook one of the woofers and see if it makes bass with only one speaker connected.
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Unhook one of the woofers and see if it makes bass with only one speaker connected.
It does but it still does not produce a lot of bass like some that i have heard that are of smaller wattage. When I was messing with my amp I disconnected one of the RCA wires from the amp and the sound sounded better than it did with both of them in. Any ideas as to why?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic