05 highlander bypass module required?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snake07 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2008 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I'm planning to install a remote starter for an 05 Toyota Highlander and just wondering if I need an Immobilizer bypass module to remote start the car ?

I had an 05 camry which does not required a bypass module that's why I'd like to make sure an 05 highlander also not required a bypass module.

If it required a bypass module, which bypass would work best for this car ?

Thanks all,

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2008 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Just like the Camry, it depends on what model Highlander you have. I know the Limited does, but others may also. If it does it will have 1) a security light on the dash 2) a key with a fat plastic head 3) a pickup coil visible around the ignition cylinder. As for bypass, there are some easy ones but my favorite is Idatalink. Buy a bypass that connects at the picup coil. Some you need to access the BCM, they suck...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2008 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with MikeM2.
Turn engine off, remove key from ignition switch. Look on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel, and there are three black plastic thingies there where there could be switches, depending on what options the car has, or they'll just be blank.
If it does have a transponder key, one of those black panels will say SECURITY, and have a flashing red light.
I prefer the Fortin modules for Toyotas over idatalink, because all you have to do is splice, rather than cut and interrupt, the factory wiring.
And yeah, like Mike said, there's a module called the XK05, which is ridiculous and has you running wires all over the place, and it's not any cheaper. Avoid it.
snake07 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2008 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks all,

Mine is not Limited and I checked the red LED on the left side of the steering wheel and it does not exist so I think I'm good to go w/o the bypass.

I'm planning to use the Autopage RS-622 LCD remote starter module, any body know how's performance of this module ?

I had the Scytek Astra 1000RS-2W, it worked great but I don't like their cheap LCD remote.

mnmama 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I am wondering what happened & if you found out you did need the bypass. I am having the same problem and am so confused. Trying to figure out if I DO or DO NOT need the bypass. I have a 2005 w/the V6 engine & 4WD & the 3rd row (this was optional in 2005). I have the basic model car otherwise & do not have automatic locks - this is something I would like to add to my car. Since I live in the Midwest, I thought I'd get the remote starter installed also - and everyone is telling me I need the bypass installed which runs around $80-100 A DOOR! I do drive 2 kids & it would be nice, but I am looking for a cheaper way. 2 of my 3 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel are blank. I bought this used & the dealership ran the VIN when I bought it & said that there is #1 no chip in my key & #2 it was not missing a remote - it was never installed.
Thanks for any insight.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Bypass module "per door?" That makes no sense at all. Whoever told you that needs to explain what they're trying to say a little better.
As far as whether you need a bypass, just follow the instructions in my previous post above.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic