icon

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonyb 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

I'm getting conflicting information on the techsoft for the 07+ GM trucks.  On here the start wire is pink/black (for remote start integration), and something else at the BCM under the hood.  On directechs it says to use a 9.6K ohm resistor with the wire at the ignition harness.

So is a resistor required?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
It is unless you use an easier bypass. The relay and resistor method is fine and you would use the starter wire at the ignition switch. The starter wire under the hood is for starter kill only. They do make bypasses that eliminate the use of the relay/resistor method alltogether....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
pacebria 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

But how do you know which module is the best? bypass kits xpresskits just gives a list of them

tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
The CAN-SL2 looks like it will do just about everything for that vehicle (alarm, locks, tach, passkey, etc)..
https://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/chevrolet/silverado/2008/
jonyb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

I've got 2 08 trucks to do.  1 has OEM remote start, the other does not.

On the truck with OEM remote start, if I use the 1701g to trigger the OEM remote start, will I still be able to power the accessory wire on the truck?  My biggest complaint on these trucks is that when you remote start it, the climate control does what it wants.  It's 20* here, so I want the defrost on.  The OEM will not do that. 

I also use the idatalink modules.  In the GM1 firmware instructions it lists a transponder key cylinder ring.  This isn't used with the 1701g, so is it necessary with the idata module?

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

I like the Idatalink units, they really make it easy by supplying locks, triggers, even a tach wire. No relay/resistor BS either....

http://www.idatalink.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=15

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
jonyb wrote:

I've got 2 08 trucks to do.  1 has OEM remote start, the other does not.

On the truck with OEM remote start, if I use the 1701g to trigger the OEM remote start, will I still be able to power the accessory wire on the truck?  My biggest complaint on these trucks is that when you remote start it, the climate control does what it wants.  It's 20* here, so I want the defrost on.  The OEM will not do that. 

I also use the idatalink modules.  In the GM1 firmware instructions it lists a transponder key cylinder ring.  This isn't used with the 1701g, so is it necessary with the idata module?

It isn't necessary, but we use them. The difference is current draw, wiring without the ring draws a little more voltage than with.....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jonyb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

So with the ADL-DS and GM3 firmware, how do you wire the starter?  Do you just tap the start wire at the ignition harness and your done just like any other install? 

there's too much out there.  Too many bypasses and different ways. Is there a DIY anywhere on this?  I wanna see this done a particular way, not any of this "whichever way you want".  I want to do the job and it not come back.  I have 2 1701G's and 1 ADS-DL in stock, so I can do it either way.

Thanks for any help thus far...

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, you don't connect a starter wire at all as it is controlled thru data from the Idatalink. Basically the only connections to the car will be 12volts, ignition, accessory, passlock, ground, data from the OB2 connector, brake and park light wires. Everything else is done from data. I would suggest buying the ADS-RNG to go with it to reduce current draw. Look at the install guide for the ADS with GM3, type 2...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jonyb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

THanks for the reply Mike.  I hate to keep asking these questions, but I do understand what you just posted.

Instead of using the idatalink in this case, I have a 1701G that I need to use on something.  Will this module do everything the ADS module will or should I add the resistor/relay method?  The reason I ask is because I have 2 of the same trucks to do, but have 1 of each module in stock.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic