icon

08 volkswagen remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
There's no reason to solder anything to any boards in the car.
I still didn't catch what kind of VW you have, and the only one I've worked on is an '07 Jetta, but from what I gather, Jetta, Golf/Rabbit, GTI, Beetle, should all be about the same.
Anyway, these cars certainly are more difficult and time-consuming than your typical American or Asian car. Many shops don't want to get involved at all, and others charge significantly more. For example, I'd charge you 1 1/2 times what I'd get for, say, a Toyota, to make it worth my time.
At any rate, though, it's not an impossible job, and there are a few posts about it on the Internet.
If your installer is/was unwilling to take a chance on this car, well, that's his right........but he should have told you before starting.
If he charged you for an alarm and remote start, but you only have an alarm......well, in my opinion, he owes you at least a partial refund.
If he told you at the outset that you'd only end up with an alarm, well, that's a different story.
At any rate, you should be able to find someone in your area who's competent and willing to put a remote start in your car.
rsc17 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
i have an 08 R32. which is the same as the others. how did you connect the remote start on the 07 Jetta that you worked on? they said if i find a way to do it then they will gladly connect the system.
1995 Jeep Wrangler
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Read Chris advice where you solder thinner wires to the outputs.  I've done this to the ignition wiring on a european Vauxhall/Opel in similar circumstances.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic