icon

turn signals on regular switch's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deckshot 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

ok here is what i am doing , i am building a offroad and on road use vehicle and i want to wire the turn signals on regular switch's and eleminate the use of a steering column type turn switch............. basicly 2 rocker style switch's one for left one for right and i am running 3 wire led lights ( ground , running/parking lights and brake/turn  ) so i need to figure out how to wire it so that it cancels the brake light on the side that the turn signal is turned on , on.      if i have left turn signal on the left brake light is cancelled and vise vursa for the right .............. so does anyone have a clue on how i can do this i am tired of the cheep aftermarket turn switchs burning out from corosion.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
On the output of the switch wire the coil of a relay so that when the switch is on the relay is energized.  Then, run your brake light wire through the NC contacts of the relay.  When the turn signal switch is on the brake light will shut off.  You will need seperate brake light wires for each side to do this.  In parallel with the coil wire your flasher and you should be set.
Kevin Pierson
deckshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
can you show me a diagram of what you are talking about cause i have tried so amny different ways already i am confuesed.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

i would do it like this. you wont need separate brake circuits, but you will need 2 relays. also the flasher has to be an led flasher because an led wont draw enough current to activate a thermal flasher. also instead of using 2 rocker switches, i would use 1 that was 2 position with an input pin in the center and an output pin on each outer end that would go to the relays. that way you could do something like......... up is the left side, and down is the right, or vise versa and only need one switch.

turn signals on regular switch's -- posted image.

deckshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

ok that looks like it should work right there but 1 question i see there is diode iso. , what type should be used?

ckeeler wrote:

i would do it like this. you wont need separate brake circuits, but you will need 2 relays. also the flasher has to be an led flasher because an led wont draw enough current to activate a thermal flasher. also instead of using 2 rocker switches, i would use 1 that was 2 position with an input pin in the center and an output pin on each outer end that would go to the relays. that way you could do something like......... up is the left side, and down is the right, or vise versa and only need one switch.

turn signals on regular switch's -- posted image.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
look at the top of the page at the section called "diodes". it will tell you what type are needed.
deckshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

ok i used the diagram , but i was unable to find anyone who had the 1n4001/L diode but i used what i had a 1n4002 and i wasnt able to find a led relay at any autoparts store but i found out that a 232 heavy duty electronic from oriely's will do the job and BINGO every thing works great ....... going to add this to my book of diagrams

Thank you for all your help. 

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to hear it. on a side note, that flasher shouldnt work but i think it does because you also have the front turn signal lights hooked up as well and the are not LED. is that correct??
deckshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
negative , i only have 2 led tail lights here on the table , i wired everything up here on the bench to my power supply so i could make sure everything is going to work correctly and it is working ............... the only thing hooked up is 2 led strips that have like 10 leds in each one.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmm....well good to know i guess.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic