can't get airhorns to work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nycmaximas 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at this diagram from the site
can't get airhorns to work -- posted image.
According to the vehicle wiring database, my 2000 Sentra's horn wire is (-) output. It seems that in the diagram the wire going to the light [or in this car the airhorn] is positive?
What I tried was cut the positive wire for the siren and:
87 is the (+) horn wire coming from the alarm brain
86 is the wire from the relay back to the siren
85 grounded
30 to X on light flasher
L on flasher to horn wiring.
That did not work and I'm guessing because I now realize the horn is (-) output. How can I make them work?
nycmaximas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I made a typo..87 is the (+) siren wire coming from the alarm brain
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

Are you saying you hooked your air horns up through  a flasher?????

Your relay won't trigger because you have it hooked up wrong.  You need to move the wire you currently have on 87 to 86.  The siren output from the brain needs to power the siren directly, and it also needs to supply power to the relay (pin 86).

Now, you will need to add a fused 12vdc power source to pin 87.  Depending on where the relay is you can go directly to the battery or tie in at the ignition in the car (or several other places).

I'm not sure how the flasher will react with an air horn on it.  What is the point of using the flasher with the air horn?

Kevin Pierson
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
He's using it to pulse the horns!
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

He's using a light flash add-on to pulse the air-horns from a siren input. If you tell me the make and model of the alarm, I'll show you an easier way.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm confused, does the poster want to add airhorns? Does the poster want to run them off the alarm? To check horn polarity, test the horn leads. If one side is always live, then they are neg going. If one lead is always grounded they are pos going.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Would you use a 2 bulb or a 4 bulb flasher to pulse the air horns????   :)  It sounds like the air horns already exist and are triggered off the OEM horn relay.

I guess it is possible that he is planning on using an electronic flasher that may actually be somewhat predictable.

Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I guess it is possible that he is planning on using an electronic flasher that may actually be somewhat predictable.

obvious guy^^

nycmaximas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Are you saying you hooked your air horns up through  a flasher?????

Your relay won't trigger because you have it hooked up wrong.  You need to move the wire you currently have on 87 to 86.  The siren output from the brain needs to power the siren directly, and it also needs to supply power to the relay (pin 86).

Now, you will need to add a fused 12vdc power source to pin 87.  Depending on where the relay is you can go directly to the battery or tie in at the ignition in the car (or several other places).

I'm not sure how the flasher will react with an air horn on it.  What is the point of using the flasher with the air horn?

I was going by what was posted in a previous thread about adding my currently installed airhorns to go off with my alarm siren. The diagram was a bit confusing for me because I wasn't sure if I needed to splice into the alarm siren wire or cut it. I was told the flasher will allow the horn to pulsate instead of being a constant sound.
nycmaximas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 3:56 AM / IP Logged  
OHHHH...
After reading all the comments now I understand the diagram. I guess I missed the little tail on the end of the siren wire which shows that the wire going to pin 86 on the relay is spliced in..
Now I get it! I will try it again.
thanks for the help so far.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic